Reset battery chip?

Started by sgofferj, March 17, 2015, 04:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgofferj

Hi,

I had my 6D freeze on me and pulled out the battery. This specific battery now always reports 100% charge and the shutter counter doesn't reset to 0 charge. Is there any way to reset the battery chip or can I throw the battery away now?

-S
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

vertigopix

Not sure but I think I have the same problem with my 60D since the last nightly. I will try and confirm later.

sgofferj

It's only this one battery. I have a bunch of others and those still work fine.
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

Levas

I have a 6d and I noticed that when you turn your camera on, battery level is often 100%.
Just keep it on for several minutes and it will display eventually the right battery level  :)
The camera is probably doing some start up sequence and reading out the battery charge level is at the end of the to do list...

sgofferj

When I write always, I mean always... It stays 100% right until the camera shuts down due to low voltage...
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

sgofferj

Found a way to reset the chips. After the problem occurred with 2 more batteries, I tried sucking the batteries dry with my LED lamp and then recharging them and that worked. It also seems that it wasn't related to pulling the batteries. It seems, the charger doesn't reset the chip when the battery isn't completely empty when inserted into the charger.
EOS 6D, EOS 7D