600D install of nightly....

Started by Shand359, March 04, 2015, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shand359

I bought a 600D and Magic Lantern v2.3 was installed. I see now that there is a Nightly update available for this software. Is it worth my while updating this to the newest version?

Can anyone give me nood instructions to install this update since it doesn't seem to be as simple as a simple exe install.....

I apologise in advance for my "stupidness" in not knowing how Canons work etc.... Please be gentle. I want to learn but am getting myself tied up in knots....

Thank you in advance....

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory, FIR file and Autoexec.bin.
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Startup cam.

Datadogie

Remember delete not format as this stops the card being bootable. (That's a hidden file on the SDcard)
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Shand359

Thank you for your help and information. Was a lot easier than I thought.
I couldn't work it out as I was trying to copy the files while camera was connected to PC. Doesn't work this way. Card needs to be out of the camera to copy files onto card..... You learn things every day...lol

All updated now, and seems to be working okay.

Thanks again,
Shand

PSikes

Hi,
I've successfully installed v 2.3 using the install procedure.  I'm stuck on updating it using the latest nightly update file.

Reading Walter's directions:
Delete ML directory, FIR file and Autoexec.bin.
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Startup cam.

So, the Nightly update file contains a newer version of the ML directory and an updated Autoexec.bin file, so I understand replacing them.  I don't see a FIR file on the update zip file, though.  Don't we need that on the ML card too?

Second question:

I'm really new to this cam, so it's possible I'm not quite ready to recognize what ML will do for me.  I think I should alternate on/off to get familiar.  The easiest way to revert to the standard Canon firmware, sems to be simply not inserting the card with the ML code on it?

Thanks,
Peter

russellsnr

Or when you turn on the 600D camera hold in the set button so ML will not load ;)

Datadogie

You only need the fir when you first install Magic Lantern. This installs a small file that tells canon to look at the card for the (hidden)boot file. Some people run into trouble when they format the card in computer as this also removes the hidden boot file. Format in camera keep ML does not remove this boot file. (Or does it and rewrites it).
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.