longtime timelapse (with screen of, and without mirror)

Started by metallicscreen, February 24, 2015, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicscreen

Hey,

i want to made a long timelapse-movie for 10 or 11 hours.

Is there a way to make interval-pictures (0.5 fps) with a deactivated screen and without the mirror in the picture-mode?

Thanks

David Goldwasser

I just got a 2ti and have been playing around with various time lapse options trying to see how long I can run off a battery.

I first tried using the intervalometer. I set it to take picture every 5 minutes and I had screen off except for 2sec review after the shot. I got about 9 hours.

Next I tried the custom FPS and set it to 0.25, I was able to use powersave in live view http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#powersave_in_liveview to turn off the screen. I think I got about 2 hours with this, but it was a bit weird. There is no feedback about what is happening. When I turned the display back on the temperature warning was on. When I took out the battery it was hot. Not sure if the sensor heated up on its own, or got hot by proximity to the battery. I need to learn if ML can turn off if battery gets too hot? Something to keep an eye on. I ordered an AV adapter for the camera. I'll see what happens to sensor temperature then.

I like to do a lot of day to night time lapse videos. I assume I'll have to use the intervalometer for that vs. custom FPS video.