[SOLVED] 'low jello' mode missing from FPS override menu?

Started by pauldaoust, February 23, 2015, 04:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauldaoust

Hi, folks. I'm a bit puzzled by all these references to a 'low jello' shutter optimisation mode. In my FPS override submenu I see only four: low light, exact FPS, high FPS, and high jello.

I mean, I see little problem in always just throwing my camera into manual exposure mode and choosing a shutter speed that approximates 180°. Just puzzled by the lack of this menu item that ostensibly should exist. Although I can just see myself missing one of my kids doing something cool because I was fiddling with exposure settings.

Using both v2.3 and the 20 Feb 2015 nightly on my 600D.

PaulHarwood856

Hello pauldaoust! My name is Paul Harwood. I have a 600D as well, and have been experimenting with RAW recording. I usually use exact FPS when lowering the FPS in FPS Override when trying to achieve longer record times. But I try to stick to 23.976 fps override when on SD Video 640 x 480 mode. I get nervous about 18 fps, and 12 fps, even though they can be adjusted in post. Better to get as much right in the camera as possible. For low shutter speeds (although I usually stick to 180 degree as well) and low FPS too, high jello would attempt to decrease the amount of rolling shutter, particularly with pans. I'm not quite sure about high FPS, but low light would adjust, well, for low light. Hope this helps and that all is well! Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if I didn't explain things clear enough.

dmilligan

Different cameras have different methods for overriding the FPS, and as a result there are some different options in the FPS menu. That is why you don't see a 'low jello' option on your 600D.

pauldaoust

dmilligan: So it's possible that they just couldn't support that method for the 600D, eh? Well, I don't think it's too painful to just manually set my shutter speed. Ah well

Either that or I accidentally hid that option when I first installed ML and didn't know what the 'Menu' button did... :)

dmilligan

Quote from: pauldaoust on February 24, 2015, 04:09:28 PM
Either that or I accidentally hid that option when I first installed ML and didn't know what the 'Menu' button did... :)
no you didn't 'hide' it, it's not there for the 600D

pauldaoust

Thanks for the reassurance -- marking this as solved now.