Canon 5D mk3 MLV overheating and frame loss problem

Started by rsousa, February 23, 2015, 03:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsousa

Hi everyone,
I did some free work for an ong this weekend and I got some serious problems (for the fist time since using ML). Hope you guys can help.
Im using canon 5D MK3 firmwire 113 and MLV April 2014 with external monitor via HDMI

Fist of all the camera got to 50ºC. Its the first time I got the temperature icon blinking. It was working for less than 1.5h. I turned the camera off and on again and the problem was gone. I didn't work for that long afterwords so I can't tell if it was really gone. Then, when reviewing the clips in resolve I found out that the structure of many clips were broken. Instead of having a 1000 frame clip I had many smaller clips that together woud sum up 1000 frames. There are some missing frames in between.

Could this be a problem with my Komputerbay cards (one 1000x 128GB and 2x 64GB 1050x) . With the Lexar 1066x 128GB it worked ok. Because Im using CF Card workaround for slower cards the camera doens't stop recording like it did before. So the broken clip structure might be the previous drop frame stop recording issue? Could that be the reason? In addiction would that also be the reason for the camera to overheat?
I will be able to use some of the footage but obvioulsy I am a bit worried and afraid of using this camera in future jobs

I just did a camera scan (quick test) and got a smile back saying the camera is ok. The camera is hot though 44ºC. I think the rubber skin might cause heating issue

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

rui

rsousa

My bad Im sorry about the previous post.  :(

I forgot to check the second card for missing files. I check it today with the video almost ready and there are a lot of them. Now I have the original files renamed and archived and 171 new M00 files. Don't really know what to do with them. Can someone help please?

Still worried about the overheating problem

Cheers

g3gg0

as written in reply to the PM already:

use mlv_dump to get the GUID of the files. chunks of the same recording have the same GUID.
that way you can find the other movue chunks your found ones belong to.

temperature:
start without ML, record H264 for 1.5h with the same conditions and tell me the temperature then.
(it will be the same i guess)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

rsousa

rsousa

Temperature is the same with mlv and without. Thank you

Tried to dump M00 files but since I only have the renamed dng (not MLV) I can't access them. I get this message

Also tried the mlv sharp and got this message (Im using osx 10.10.2)

So when I dump the recorded files from both cards in same folder I should have a complete video (dng) file.  Thats great I can use all cards still :)

Is there any way I can recover just the M00 files in this situation?