ETA for Full Screen External Monitoring

Started by gh.productions, February 21, 2015, 04:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gh.productions

In movie mode, whether previewing LiveView output from the Canon T5i in standard def (over coax) or Full HD (over HDMI), external video output is currently pillar and letter boxed. I would like to see a fix for this for live events.

Currently PTZ camera setups are the norm for in-house venues with the budget for them. However, for cost conscious mobile video recording companies (i.e. bands, clubs, houses of worship, etc.), the T5i initially presents a more attractive option.

I recently purchased 3 Canon T5i's as an upgrade for shooting live events. My intention was to upgrade the picture quality of my previous live event recording setup. I had previously been using Canon VIXIA HFS10's and a video mixer. I chose to upgrade for clearer video and better low light response. In the end, the picture is much clearer, but also much smaller too.

I still have my my Canon VIXIA HFS10s, as I did my research on the Canon website and found nothing specific to this issue, which I initially perceived to be both good and bad. It wasn't until after my purchase, and discovering that I was unable to overcome this issue that I found third party documentation of this limitation. I have waited too long to return these cameras, and am hoping this is something that can be corrected via an update of some sort. The picture quality is much improved over my previous setup, and it is stressful to consider a similar result with a different company.

My hope rests in the fact the 2009 Canon VIXIA HFS10 processor uses a DIGIC DV III Image Processor, while the 2013 T5i uses a DIGIC 5 Image Processor. For this reason, I am expecting the T5i to be capable of at least the same external monitor output as the Canon VIXIA HFS10.