"The Most Wonderful City In The World" - Canon 5D Mk. II RAW, Christmas in NYC

Started by cmfilm331, December 24, 2013, 07:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmfilm331

Just a little video I shot in December -- mostly on my Konova slider, but with a small dose of handheld mixed in using exclusively IS lenses.  My goal was to capture a little more of the strange, quiet side of spending the holidays in NY.  As festive as the Big Apple can be this time of year, there's a tangible mood that winter brings that forces you to be introspective about the city and all its millions of inhabitants.

Specs:
Canon 5D Mk. II ML RAW 1880x800
VAF-5D2B Anti-Aliasing Filter
Canon 35mm F2.0 USM IS
Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS
Canon 85mm F1.8 USM
Konova K5 Slider (30cm)
Zoom H1 Recorder (for city ambience)
Film Convert 5207 Color 50%, Grain 45% + Gorilla Grain 35mm Medium with Opacity of 50%
Initial grade and ProRes 444 transcode done through Adobe Camera RAW in After Effects CS6, followed by edit of ProRes files in FCP X, then XML output and final pass in Davinci Resolve 10 for final grading.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy...

Andy600

Looks amazing and has atmosphere. Great work Colby :)

The VAF seems to work wonders on the 5D2.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

cmfilm331

Thanks, everyone.  Yes, the VAF filter is a must.  Definitely softens the image a bit more than I'd like in a perfect world, but without it, half these wide shots near infinity focus would have hellish moire.  There's actually a few shots in there from a night where I forgot to install the filter -- luckily those weren't too bad, but some of the other cool shots I did that night were unusable.

arrinkiiii

Lovely, poetry !

I think you should give more time to some images to able to absorve the ambience/sound/atmosphere.

Very good photography =)) Let,s se more !

Mehmet Kozal

Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

jrcreative

I noticed that it's only for the Mark II. I have a Mark III, should I consider getting that filter or is it not needed in the III?

J

Africashot

ML 5D2 & T3i

poromaa