FPS Override Question

Started by Lasting Image, February 18, 2015, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasting Image

On my 5D2 I'm doing something wrong when trying the FPS Override. At 1 FPS what do I need to do to get the timelapse to play? I was using the intervalometer with no problems but want to lengthen camera life.

Lasting Image

bump

... in other words, I can't get it to play the timelapse movie.  Any thoughts?

Walter Schulz

ML version?
H.264 or MLV or RAW?

Do you have troubles recording or do you have troubles viewing the results inside the cam (playback)?

Lasting Image

Thanks for the reply Walter.
MLV -- I think   :-\
There doesn't seem to be a problem recording. Playback is the issue and I didn't have much luck downloading.

Walter Schulz

Please remember we're not psychic and without a detailed description what you are trying to do and what is going on ...
Keep in mind that we need proper info to reproduce your error.

dmilligan

Load mlv_play module to playback raw video in camera. Use a card reader to download videos from card.

Lasting Image

Thanks dmilligan. Much appreciated.

Lasting Image

Sorry for the nubie questions but I'm not finding answers in the FAQ or elsewhere --
Once I download the MLV files, then what? It's a unix executable file.
...on a macbook pro.

Lasting Image

dmilligan - By the way, I checked my .MO files and I already have the mlv_play module.
Thank you Audionut. That's given me plenty of stuff to read. I'm getting the impression that I must convert to DNG. Is that correct?

dmilligan

It's one thing to have the .mo file on your card, it's another to actually have it loaded.

There are not really any post processing tools that can read MLV format directly (b/c its a custom format invented by ML); so yes, you must use a converter to convert it to something else that's useable (DNG is the most common).

Lasting Image

In the modules pulldown it has mlv_play marked as OK. That does mean it's loaded, right? After recording a FPS Override movie (at 1.5) I try to play it in-camera and get a can't play video message.

Lasting Image

I reformatted my card and installed magiclantern-Nightly.2015Feb20.5D2212.zip
I'm now able to play in camera (FPS set at 1.5) but what I see in the LCD isn't anything like a timelapse. It's choppy and barely faster than 1.5 FPS. I'm using RAW Magic Lite on my Mac for RAW video but looking for another converter for the MLV files. Any thoughts on a converter I should use?

Walter Schulz

Replay is choppy because hardware performance is quite limited.

SuperMouseDV

Lasting Image if you want time lapse why not use ML's intervalometer feature in still mode just remember you will have to load it into a timeline as an image sequence but make sure that your images are loading at one frame not one frame at 5 seconds as it is the default in premiere  . The bonus is you can get  a very high pixel image for your time lapse.

dmilligan

Quote from: Lasting Image on February 24, 2015, 02:37:53 AM
I'm using RAW Magic Lite on my Mac for RAW video but looking for another converter for the MLV files. Any thoughts on a converter I should use?
There are lots of options here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=55.0

Lasting Image

dmilligan - Excellent. Thanks.

SuperMouseDV - I have been using the intervalometer and like it's relative simplicity. I'm just looking for a way to do timelapse without the wear and tear on the camera and don't need large high quality files for what I'm currently doing. I came across the FPS override and have the feeling once I get past the learning curve it will suit my needs better. ML is a fantastic tool that adds exciting potential for my projects but the learning curve has been a bitch, so I truly appreciate the time folks like dmilligan, Walter Schulz, audionut and others are willing to take on nubie's like me. Thanks again all!

SuperMouseDV

Lasting image a majority of the time lapse shots (the good ones) use an intervalometer but the nice thing is you can do camera moves in post with the extended frame. I understand what your doing and here is a tip but it's time consuming. Record your videos in under 24 frames. Then export the file as an image sequence then select every 24th frame and bring them into your time line (remember to set your image length to 1 frame) then drag the selected images into your bin the to your time line. You should see 30 seconds blur by in 30 frames... Time consuming. Might want to look for a time lapse plugin that does it for you..