Triggering external audio recorder from within ML

Started by AriLG, July 17, 2012, 10:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AriLG

My last crazy suggestion was implemented so I thought what the hell  :)

Can ML\Canon "Flag" the outside world that it starts recording ? can this "Flag" be picked by an external audio recorder (with RC capabilities, e.g. Zoom H2N)

That would be AWESOME and would make one avoid pressing TWO buttons upon recording with an external audio recorder.
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

a1ex

I had the idea of sending out a pulse on the mic input (considered as output), but nobody agreed with it, so I've dropped it.

You can try toggling mic power from ML menu => you will hear this in headphones, if you plug them in the mic jack. Try connecting the external recorder in this way and let me know if it works.

ilguercio

This is just for the cameras that have the mic input, right?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

AriLG

Quote from: a1ex on July 17, 2012, 10:26:59 PMYou can try toggling mic power from ML menu => you will hear this in headphones, if you plug them in the mic jack. Try connecting the external recorder in this way and let me know if it works.
I'm sorry, I don't use the audio features of ML other then plugging my RODE video mic and pressing REC on my 550d AND My H1 (soon H2N).

Can you elaborate a little ? the docs seem very sparse in this area... the thing I am trying to say is that I'm looking for a way to engage the REC on the ER (ie. by pressing the REC on the 550d, my ER will also start).

If I understand you correctly, you are offering a way to plug my ER as a mic into 550d ?
T3i (main), T2i
------------------

a1ex

Plug the headphones in the mic jack and you will see. I don't see what I should elaborate, I'm just asking you to try and see if you can start recording by toggling mic power.

1%

How do you "remotely" start your recorder? It has to have this feature for ML to do something to enable it.

What I think alex is saying is that he would send a pulse to try to "audio remote shot" the recorder. The only other way is to start rec on the recorder and feed its line out to your camera. Then enable the real audio remote shot and your camera will start as soon as the recorder sends some output. I don't know how well this works.

a1ex

OP mentioned "RC capabilities" so I guess it accepts some input signal to start recording. ML can send this signal via mic jack, by toggling mic power, but we don't know if the recorder can recognize this.

AriLG

T3i (main), T2i
------------------

Leon

How about simply triggering both to record using an external cable remote?  You would need to have ML set up to start recording on half-press of the shutter button.

An even easier idea is this:  I record stereoscopic 3D by connecting two cameras (550D and 600D) together by the external cable remote connecter (a simple stereo 2.5mm jack cable works fine).  When I half-press the shutter button on either camera it automatically triggers both cameras to start recording.  Therefore a shutter release signal is being output along the cable connection already, so this could be used to trigger an external mic to start recording too!

I suspect "real audio remote" wouldn't work, because the recorder is probably already sending a monitoring signal out on its headphones before the record button is hit, but perhaps it could be triggered by switching on an external mic that is plugged into the external recorder but not itself switched on yet.

Leon

Michael Zöller

Quote from: a1ex on July 17, 2012, 11:17:23 PM
OP mentioned "RC capabilities" so I guess it accepts some input signal to start recording. ML can send this signal via mic jack, by toggling mic power, but we don't know if the recorder can recognize this.
Same here, but will try with my Tascam DR-40. I'm pretty sure this will work...
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Michael Zöller

I can confirm that my connecting <5D Mic IN> to <Tascam DR-40 EXT Line In> and activating auto-rec at -6dB, turning mic power in ML on or off triggers the DR-40.

One still has to stop the recording by hand though, and since the stupid DR-40 does not enable one to specify which channel to monitor for auto-rec, could also be triggered by loud noises to the other channels.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

bumkicho

I am wondering if this can be possible with 5D3 raw shooting. Anyone else?

Steve Kahn

Yes.  I am thiking of 5D3 raw shooting as well.

In raw shooting audio is not recorded but audio still comes through the camera mic, no? 

So could this be used to trigger an external sound recorder which records the scratch track from camera as well as an XLR boom mic? 

This would be incredibly useful in matching up tracks in post where one could know which sound clip goes with with audio clip simply by the clip duration. 

Can external recorders be triggered by a beep, then stopped by a beep?