Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

To avoid further confusion:

Default modules makefile includes indeed mlv_sound + mlv_rec and mlv_play

I was on a rush and forgot to exclude them in one build I published.
So mlv_sound is inbuilt but not yet supported

There's no need to experiment with sound until you see a hint for sound support in the changelogs on 1st page.

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Harrison

So I'm new to magic lantern and this will be my first time downloading it to my 70d. If it's an Alpha version does that mean that there are still a lot of issues with the program for my camera and should I wait to download a more complete version. Or is it completely fine? Thanks.
-Canon Lover

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Harrison on March 12, 2015, 05:27:01 PMIf it's an Alpha version does that mean that there are still a lot of issues with the program for my camera
Yes
Quote from: Harrison on March 12, 2015, 05:27:01 PMand should I wait to download a more complete version.
Depends. Keep in mind: If it breaks, you can keep both pieces.

Quote from: Harrison on March 12, 2015, 05:27:01 PMOr is it completely fine?
Number of bricked cameras until now: Zero. Doesn't mean there is a guarantee it will *not* break your cam. It's alpha, after all.

donjames150

Quote from Harrison

"So I'm new to magic lantern and this will be my first time downloading it to my 70d. If it's an Alpha version does that mean that there are still a lot of issues with the program for my camera and should I wait to download a more complete version. Or is it completely fine? Thanks.
-Canon Lover"

I've been running Alpha versions of Magic Lantern for 2 years on 2 different cameras (7D and 650D). They lock up on occaision, both of them. You just have to remember to take out your battery and put it back in, then it will be fine. I am planning on buying a 70D as soon as the HDR video function is working and I would not hesitate to install magic lantern on it.
EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

Eli Kaliski

How can I turn off AGC? I'm using a Canon 70d (brand new) and a Røde Videomic.

-Eli

Walter Schulz

cluber77

At what point the alpha become to Official version? Are there certain steps for that?.
And another question, Is it possible to shoot video in slower shutter speed then the camera defaults to get the time lapse style effect in night shooting with this ML?

Thanks. 

Walter Schulz

FPS override -> Read first post

deusex1

cluber77, that is interesting. As we know, when shooting video at 24fps, the minimum shutter speed can go as low as 1/30th. This is the setting without ML. I wonder, could ML bring us a shutter speed of 1/24th ? The difference would be really small, but its just a thought.

cluber77

I had Hackd GH2 camera and it was possible only if I was shooting in manual focus mode.

grey

Quote from: deusex1 on March 13, 2015, 08:51:18 PM
cluber77, that is interesting. As we know, when shooting video at 24fps, the minimum shutter speed can go as low as 1/30th. This is the setting without ML. I wonder, could ML bring us a shutter speed of 1/24th ? The difference would be really small, but its just a thought.

Expo -> Expo. Override=on -> Set shutter speed. 1/25 of sec is lowest speed.

nikfreak

updated first post with a new download link. Try out the new installer. AF-ON button in FRSP works now too....

janoschsimon

thx for the update nik :-) tried it on the old no change BUHH :D but i wait no problem keep up the great work :-)

nikfreak

it will only work on cameras which have successfully used the previous builds. Appropriate infos can always be taken from 1st post. But new users now have a hassle-free way to install ML. So feel free to try out and report your findings.

I also want to shout out a special thank you to user "grey" which provided awesome fast and helpful support with private testing last days.

Mr.Click

Thank you for the new Alpha, looks good. But I couldn´t find Dual ISO on this Build, which I´m enjoying on the alpha 4. So I decided to switch back to Alpha 4 back again.
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

deusex1

After I shoot, I remove the memory card and turn off the camera. When I put the memory card again, the camera cannot be turned on. The only way to turn it on is, to remove the battery. Is that behavior normal?

Walter Schulz

First turn off camera, wait until all LED activity stopped (and a little more). Then you may remove card. Doing otherwise may cause your battery to drain.

nikfreak

Quote from: Mr.Click on March 14, 2015, 01:41:53 PM
Thank you for the new Alpha, looks good. But I couldn´t find Dual ISO on this Build, which I´m enjoying on the alpha 4. So I decided to switch back to Alpha 4 back again.
Fixed! Just re-download from 1st post and thx for informing. Didn't notice myself.

Quote from: deusex1 on March 14, 2015, 02:34:03 PM
After I shoot, I remove the memory card and turn off the camera.
I recommend  turning off camera and afterwards removing the card.

deusex1

Quote from: nikfreak on March 14, 2015, 03:44:08 PM
I recommend  turning off camera and afterwards removing the card.

Alright i tried this:

I shoot, turn off the camera, remove the card, re-insert the card. The result is the same - the camera cannot turn on, without removing the battery first.

Is this behavior normal for 70D, or is it some left-over the installation of ML, maybe corrupted bootflag?

Walter Schulz

Did you wait for LED activity to stop?

deusex1

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 14, 2015, 05:04:47 PM
Did you wait for LED activity to stop?

Hey that seems to fix the issue, thanks!.
I was too quick to turn on the camera after card insertion. Now I tried to wait 5 sec, then it turned on normally. But as far as I remember, such waiting was not necessary, before I installed ML. Not sure, let someone with a clean 70D try.

Update: the waiting thing worked for the 1st insertion, but at the 2nd insertion it failed. And then the battery drained out in a second.

Can anyone explain, exactly why this battery draining happens?

Walter Schulz

nikfreak

LED activity is always there. When turning on and off. Maybe you are rushing too much. Just take some seconds before you remove card.
I put in/out a minimum of 300 times my sdcard from 70D while porting. never encountered your issues.

If you can reproduce it after reading through Walter's posted link then please post detailed steps on how to reproduce...

deusex1

I removed Magic Lantern from the firmware menu (waited 30sec to delete the bootflag).
Now the camera behaves the same way I got it from the store.
I dont wait for any LEDs, and no matter how fast I remove and insert the card, the camera turns on without a problem. I can even remove the card without turning off the camera - it still works.

So that means ML needs some time to initialize and if the user moves the card too quickly, the camera bricks and needs battery re-insertion.

I am still wondering, how is it technically possible, to drain a fully charged battery in just seconds? What process could lead to this?

Walter Schulz

What could have happened: Cam asks battery's controller. Controller lost track and reports empty state.