[WONTFIX] Auto-ISO range adjustment and minimimum shutter speed in 5DMK2 photo

Started by Karpz, July 17, 2012, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karpz

Hi!

5D Mark III has the possibility to adjust minimum and maximum values of Auto-ISO range. In 5D MARK II, these settings are fixed to 100-3200. Could it be possible to alter these values in some future release ML?

Also 5D Mark III has the ability to set minimun shutter speed from 1/250 -> 1" when shooting in Program or aV mode. There are no such settings in 5D MARK II, but is it possible to implement this in ML?

Thank you!

a1ex

... do you use 5D Mark II with ML in auto mode?!

No, unless ML re-implements auto ISO from scratch.

sashk0

Fully support requested feature, sometimes it's very useful to have limited "automatic" option?

a1ex

Only the lower ISO limit can be implemented safely (without breaking manual ISO).

Karpz

Yes, auto-iso is actually quite handy in some situations, for example where I am doing some fast paced shooting indoors without flash, and the light levels are changing constantly, and my lenses maximum aperture is just not enough. I just want the camera to "do it's job" by automatically adjusting the ISO-level as required. I can get reasonably low noise pics at 6400 (or even at 12800 if all else fails) because the RAW noise reduction algorithms in Lightroom for example are so much better today, than what they were when 5DMKII was introduced. Because of this, it's quite silly that auto-iso stops to max 3200.

So, it would be possible to alter auto-iso minimum from 100 to 3200, but not maximum values? Is there some fundamental reason why Auto-ISO has to be re-implemented from scratch as you said in your previous post? I know that there is probably a LOT more to it than just changing some register value from 3200 to someting else. Is there even slight possibility that you could think about implementing this in some distant future..?

And please don't get this the wrong way, because i really really love the new ML just the way it is right now and i think you guys are doing a great job. This is just someting that would make something great even more better..  :D

a1ex

Forget my earlier comment - it was about auto ISO in movie mode (which was implemented, but proved unstable).

There's no way to adjust it in photo mode unless implementing it from scratch.