Problem filming in RAW (Canon 550D)

Started by yaplo, December 29, 2014, 11:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaplo

Thats probably the most common question in this Q&A, but... I'm really needing some help.

I've installed the Magic Lantern w/ Nightly Builds in my Canon 550D and i'm having trouble while filming a raw video.

First of all, I activated the "Raw recording v2.0(MVL)" module.

Then I turned ON in the movie tab of the magic lantern

And i'm trying to use those configs to shoot my video

Here's the problem:

Early stop (11). Didn't make it to the estimated record time!.

And that's probably happening because I don't have an SD card with that enough write speed (70mb/s) to record raw videos, so i'm asking for help to shoot RAW videos with good quality and with a medium speed SD CARD

kyrobb

That's because a 550D can't do 70mb/s.  Do some research on it.

rtf

You can't record at 1728x972: the resolution is too big for the 550D unfortunately. Try a smaller resolution instead. The bigger the resolution the shorter your recording time will be.

The 550d can't write faster than 20mb/s, so buying a faster card like 70mb/s won't help a bit. :(

yaplo

yaplo

Can you help me choosing the best settings for shooting a video on the Canon 550D with Magic Lantern?  :)

kyrobb

I'd recommend a card fast enough for the full 20mb/s, but then just setting 2.0X bitrate. This really only increases your bitrate with high detail or high iso shots, but it's better than nothing. I'd also just use a neutral picture style, aiming to grade as little as possible. 8 bit H.264 does not grade well. If you're shooting dramatic production, just focus on lighting your scenes and it'll look great.

rtf

Quote from: yaplo on December 30, 2014, 03:24:19 AM
Can you help me choosing the best settings for shooting a video on the Canon 550D with Magic Lantern?  :)

Yes, I have the 550D as wel so this is how I do it:

1.) In your Canon menu choose "Movie Rec. Siz 1920x1080 24fps"
2.) You can use Raw Video (MLV) but I always use the RAW Video (it's underneath MLV)
3.) Choose in the RAW Video menu the Aspect Ratio and set it to 2.35:1
4.) Set your Resolution to 1280x544

Now you can record in HD and film about 10 to 12 seconds of footage each time. It sounds short but if you plan your shots and know what you want to film it's long enough. You can play with the aspect ratios/resolutions to see which size you like best. The smaller your resolutions the longer you can film.

yaplo

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!! I tried to use these settings, and I was able to record for 09~ 12 secs.

But i keep getting these frames:

How can I fix it?

Frank7D

Looks like "tearing." I think there's several things that can cause it; basically you're overloading the processor in some way. You could search for "frame tearing" or something like that and see if you find an answer.

rtf

Those are corrupt/pink frames, which happens to everyone once in a while. Nothing to really get worried about. Search on this forum how to minimize those frames.