Info needed please! 5D III

Started by Ale82, December 30, 2014, 12:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ale82

Hello community  :D
I have a Canon 5D III with the latest firmware. I would like to improve its video and picture capabilities and install Magic Lantern. There are a few things I could not understand from reading the instruction guide.

- I put Magic Lantern on a SD card and follow the installation instruction. Then I save files of video and stills on the CF card and when the CF card is full I simply change it. But what happens if I remove the SD card having Magic Lantern on? Can I use the SD card holding Magic Lantern as a simple on/off option for using Magic Lantern? What if I use another SD card without Magic Lantern?
- I could not find any info if Magic Lantern enables me to record 10 bit 422 video directly on the Cf card and what format it supports (Pro rec?). Do I still need an external recorder to do this? Like an Atomos.
- What about the improved dynamic range in pictures? Where is drawback of this? Is it like some kind of HDR requiring hdr discipline (tripod, cable release, etc)? Does it produces 2 raw CR2 files? Is there some kind of image degradation in other fields? Like less pixel, more noise, hdr ghosting, etc?
- Does focus peaking works also for pictures?
- Can Magic Lantern work for stills (and possibly video) with live view disabled?

Thankd everybody for your support! :D

Ale82

Hi, thanks for the links

1) I tried to download the dng sample of the dual iso but Photoshop (CS6, with latest ACR version 8.7.1) could not open it. The raw .cr2 file is terrible to look at, a full mess of black horizontal lines visible at magnification of 50% or less. Can those be visible in the dng file? I read in the instruction they should desappear, but how can this happen?

2) I don't understand well the sentence "custom codecs are impossible" regarding hdmi out. ML can work only with videos recorded IN camera? No effect if the video is recorded to an external recorder like Atomos? Ok, no 1080p 60fps, but other ML video options less as long as it's hdmi out 4.2.2 color bit and not 4.2.0?

3) I could not find any onfo on focus peaking for stills/pictures

Thanks!!!

dmilligan

1. Dual-ISO requires additional post processing. Try reading the linked thread again carefully.
2. If you don't understad that phrase and the explanation in the link, then I can't help you.
3. Focus peaking works in any LiveView mode (stills or movie)

garry23

Ale82

As dmilligan says, you really need to read, read and reread to get the most out of ML.

You may find some of my words helpful : http://photography.grayheron.net/2014/07/consolidation-series-part-2.html