60d bit rate issues

Started by Red Planet Pictures, July 14, 2012, 06:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Planet Pictures

Hi all, when I first started ML on my 60d it worked absolutely great, no issues. I did one extended shoot at CBR 0.3, then another one at 1.0. Near the end of the second shoot, it would suddenly reach the max buffer level and stop recording. I figured it was because the card was nearly full and finished the shoot at a lower setting.

However, now it never records for more than a few seconds at the default settings (regardless of choosing Firmware Default or CBR 1.0), and the problem persists across both of my cards (they are 16GB Kingston SDHC Class 10 cards). I typically shoot in CBR 0.5 now, though sometimes that even reaches the limit and I have to drop to 0.3 again. Biggest concern for me is noticeable noise and artifacting at these levels, and I'm shooting a lot of content that broadcasts on TV.

Has anyone else encountered this before/found a fix? I won't be able to try a clean, non-ML card until Monday to see if it's a problem with normal firmware, but am hoping to find help before then. Fingers crossed...

Jeremy

Francis

If you can't record at even .5 CBR there is probably something wrong with your camera. Maybe some energy management issue that results in overheating of the sensor? I don't know but what you are experiencing is atypical.

a1ex

I'd rather check with a different card (though, on my class 2 card, CBR 0.8 is very stable).

Do you have FPS override enabled?

GaturTeem

I switched to Toshiba 32g class 10 and my 60D loves it no more issues