precise control of rolling shutter line speed

Started by SydM107, November 24, 2014, 09:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SydM107

Hello,

I'm studying the vibrations of vertical interference lines from a Michelson Interferometer. I wanted to know if there is a way to control the FPS and rollingshutter speed of my 5d mk2 in order to minimize the gap in time between the last line read of one frame and the first line of the next frame. I've calculated that there is about 1/100 of a second between the end of one frame to the beginning of the next. For my purposes this is just too big.

Can anyone tell me if this gap is due to a physical limitation of the camera, or is there a way make time/line*#lines = 1/fps?

SydM107

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what that equation represents. and unfortunately this doesn't answer my question about if the gap between 1/fps and lines*seconds/line is able to be minimized. so far the smallest gap I can find is 0.008 seconds.

dmilligan

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#fps_override

If you can't use FPS override in ML to get to the values you want/need, then you can assume that it's a physical limitation.

SydM107

Would anyone know why the camera is limited in this fashion? if only it were possible to increase the seconds/line without changing the fps I would be golden.

I know everyone wants to minimize jello effects, but I need it to be maximized in order to ensure continuity between frames.

dmilligan

QuoteHigh Jello: maximize the jello effect and enable fast shutter speeds. You can use this mode for recording slit-scan frames (distorted images like these, which use the extreme jello effect in creative ways).

SydM107

Hello,

I'm currently studying vibrations of interference fringes which present perfect vertical symmetry and I was wondering if it was physically possible to drastically reduce the delay between the last line read of a frame and the first line of the next frame. This would ensure continuity and be able to save my department several tens of thousands of dollars.

Playing with the timerA I am able to reduce the delay to about 0.008 seconds, however this ideally needs to go down to the microsecond range; as it is between lines.

As there is total vertical symmetry and I am only studying horizontal vibrations, vertical resolution doesn't matter. I was thinking of cutting (not literally) the sensor into vertical zones, having each zone represent a frame so that they alternate in image acquisition.

Anyone have any ideas? Also, is there any sort of guide to the source code so I can see a bit better how the camera's movie mode works.

I have a 5dMk2

Thank you

a1ex

One component of that delay is the time required for top optical black area; you can reduce it from ADTG 0x82F3.

Links:
- search for "82F3" in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111
- https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/iso-research/modules/adtg_gui/adtg_gui.c

I doubt you can remove this delay completely without rewriting the image capture pipeline.