Modules won't load on 5dmkiii 1.2.3

Started by dhuiting, July 04, 2014, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhuiting

I load the RAW video modules on my 5d mkiii with the latest nightly build, and each time I load a module it says "on, will load at next reboot" but every time I turn the camera off and on the modules aren't loaded. Also even when the modules are on it don't record RAW video, it only records the regular h264. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

dmilligan

Quote from: dhuiting on July 04, 2014, 04:53:07 PM
the modules aren't loaded
did you get an error message? what modules did you try to load?

one module failing to load will cause them all to fail to load, so you can narrow it down by disabling some of them, or trying them one by one

dhuiting

I did not get an error message. I tried to load, mlc_rec.mom mlv_snd.mo, and mlv_play.mo. Each one says "ON, will load" next to it, and "This module will be loaded at next reboot" at the bottom. I try them one at a time. Not sure what to do!

Walter Schulz

Please clarify:
In your first post you wrote the modules will load. But you are not able to shoot RAW.

To shoot RAW/MLV you have to enable the modules, restart the cam and then go to the movie tab, turn RAW/MLV on.

In your second post you described what happens inside the module tab and I have no clue if you restarted the cam or not. What you described may be normal because you have to
- Enable module to load (-> Message: On, will load)
- Restart the cam (-> Module tab will show ON for each of the modules above)
- and some modules require further steps to actually run that option. Otherwise the module will be loaded in memory only, doing nothing at all but allocating memory and processor time.

If a module fails to load:
This may happen if you turn off and on too fast. Just give the system a little time to shutdown properly.
If a module will not load at all you may want to delete ML folder and copy nightly contents (overwriting AUTOEXEC.BIN).

dhuiting

Ok I figured it out. I had my SD card locked while trying to load modules. I have to unlock the SD card, turn the camera on, load the modules, then turn the camera off. But then I have to LOCK the SD card when I start it back up. Because if I try to record with the SD card UNLOCKED (even though I have a CF card in the camera as well) I get an error 70 and the camera crashes. It works now with locked SD card. Maybe it writes something to the SD card when you first load the modules and that's why it needs to be unlocked that first time? Weird, but it works now...

Stedda

My SD card is never locked... you've got something else going on with that camera...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Walter Schulz

Some ML settings will be written to the card's SETTINGS directory. ML is not intended to be used with write protection.

dhuiting

Ramon Mellett

Hi! I seem to be having the exact same problem with the modules not loading on my markiii. Could you please explain how/where you unlocked your SD card and could you mention if there have been any other bugs?

Thanks! :)

Walter Schulz

Move write protection switch to unlock position.

kgv5

Hi, today i get the same issue. 5d3 but on 1.1.3. (not 1.2.3)
Cannot load modules - it says "module will load..." but they do not loading even after multiple reboots and battery out/in. Strange because it comes suddenly, i didnt even noticed when exactly raw (mlv) recording tab dissapeared (i went to test my glidecam and wanted just to use h264 anyway). Checked SD card lock like in suggestion above- it was off, tried lock on/off couple of times but it did nothing. I have never had any issues like this and i am using my 5d almost every day. Couple days ago i have installed Nightly.2014Oct07.5D3113. 
I tried to reinstall the same nightly once again - no luck - problem was still present. I examined modules folder - there was some strange LOADING LOCK file (something like this, i deleted this and now cannot remembered exact name). It did nothing. So i downloaded some older nightly, installed but still no luck.

The solution at least for me was:
I deleted ML folder (and autoexec file just in case) from SD card, copied and pasted the new one (from 2014Sep27 - just a precaution) and it started to work. I think it would be important to find out what caused such behavior as it made camera unusable (at least for raw recording) for some time, at least for the time needed to come back home (i didnt have laptop with me). 
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D