Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

Quote from: dinissilva on June 21, 2016, 07:26:54 PM
Can you show me your setup so i can do the same with my canon 80D! Please
You need not only the photodiode connected to a serial port but a signed fw for your 80D...
But if a1ex can dump the 7D2 I'm sure the 80D will be the next.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

dinissilva

ericvangs14

Hi everyone...

I just received my 7d mk ii yesterday.  I've upgraded from a t2i.  yay!

There's no ML.  boo.

I don't have any coding to contribute, but inspiration!  Keep trying.  Alot of us are depending on you.

I guess I'll patiently wait with the rest of you.

Thanks devs.

~Eric

CorruptFrame

Ditto.

I'm not a smart person when it comes to things like coding. It takes a different kind of brain than the one I've got, but I'm very thankful for those at ML who do such amazing things. So I just wanted to express my gratitude. I had assumed ML would never come to the 7D MKII, and I'm ecstatic to see that you guys are working on it. I understand that each camera is like a puzzle, and it takes a lot of hard work to crack.

I'll be silently watching and rooting for you.

Once again, THANK YOU.

ddelreal

Don't know what testing is left but my 7D2 should be available this weekend.

can-on

Hi

You may have had issues, it will be from ML 7d mk2 ?
thx

Walter Schulz

Please rephrase your question ...

can-on

when to expect magic lantern from 7D MK II ?

thx

Walter Schulz

When it's ready.
Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ -> Troll Questions section

hgen

Is someone working on ML for 7D Mk2? What's the latest update news, if any? Thx!

Ottoga

Refer the post inmediately before yours.......

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

ddelreal

Patience. a1ex, Pelican and some others are working to dump the firmware. It'll get here when it gets here.

a1ex

hindra

SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

ddelreal

That's awesome! Thanks for your hard work guys, especially a1ex, atonal and zloe. Great progress with DIGIC 6.

EDIT: P.S. It will be interesting to see the results of resolution/binning/crop mode (once we get there) and continuous recording as well.

hindra

Is there anything we, mere mortals can do to help? What are the next steps?
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

Walter Schulz

I think - speaking of development - there is not that much "we mere mortals" can do right now. There is some dirty (and sometimes boring) work to do poking into the (hay)stack. It will take serious hours (estimated 3 digits range?) to make ML run on 7D2.

But there is work to do all the time. Documentation is a big and ongoing issue. Take a look into Audionut's signature http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=469
Any supporter/mere user with a cam running ML can dig in.

Bonar_S

Hey, I wanted to know, where your Code for the 7d2 can be found, so that I could start building my custom version of ML for the 7d2 ?  ;)

thehook

ddelreal

The silence is deafening.... Calm before the storm?

Anyhow, it will be very interesting to see what Canon has up their sleeve for the rumored upcoming firmware update to the 7D2. I hope it brings more than just functionality to the rumored WiFi accessory that is soon to be announced. 4K video???

a1ex

Quote from: ddelreal on August 09, 2016, 10:07:52 PM
The silence is deafening.... Calm before the storm?

Nope, I'm a bit stuck. Trying to jump to Canon firmware on the slave processor doesn't work (I need to see the bootloader code), and LED blinking from that processor doesn't work either. So, I have to understand the IPC mechanism (inter-processor communication, I guess) and how to use it from the master processor's bootloader (the place where I can run user code) in order to dump the slave bootloader.

The 80D will be easier, as I was able to jump to Canon firmware, but there I have trouble with self-modifying code (caches) on the new ARM architecture. I still have a few things to try, but the ARM documentation is a bit overwhelming for me (so, any help is welcome).

For 760D/750D, probably similar to 80D, I have no feedback (I sent a few copies of the firmware dumper, but there was no response from the testers).

JagoUK

Well I disappear for a short while and almost missed the boat!

Quote from: a1ex on August 10, 2016, 03:35:22 AM
Nope, I'm a bit stuck. Trying to jump to Canon firmware on the slave processor doesn't work (I need to see the bootloader code), and LED blinking from that processor doesn't work either. So, I have to understand the IPC mechanism (inter-processor communication, I guess) and how to use it from the master processor's bootloader (the place where I can run user code) in order to dump the slave bootloader.

The 80D will be easier, as I was able to jump to Canon firmware, but there I have trouble with self-modifying code (caches) on the new ARM architecture. I still have a few things to try, but the ARM documentation is a bit overwhelming for me (so, any help is welcome).

For 760D/750D, probably similar to 80D, I have no feedback (I sent a few copies of the firmware dumper, but there was no response from the testers).

Hi A1ex

I'm more than willing to help.
I have a 7D II, admittedly limited programming experience (Bit of python and C++) but indepth knowledge of decoding hex in unique applications/filesystems.
(Already mapped out the FW for 1.0.4 months ago then realised they encrypted it with new keys and no tool to extract)

Anyway, anything you want me to try i'd be more than happy to help.

ddelreal

Ah, gotcha. I'll reach out to my coding friends to see if they can help.

JagoUK

Hi @A1ex

Just a quick update as I was getting myself upto speed. (Installing arm, Mercurial etc)

Anyway, spotted a little bug that might stumble some.
I tried the DUMMY7D2 and BLINK7D2 FIR files and they would not work.
Turns out if you have normal firmware files on your card the selection menu comes up and this triggers some kind of check which makes the two files invalid.
Renaming the other files got the BLINK7D2 file to work.

However I do not have a photodiode to dump the FW. Pity no one has done a headphone output instead (Given there is a photodiode to mic input method).

So i'll be pretty much stuck till I can dump the FW.

Anyway moving on.

I did compile your 7D2-dumper, but noted it only gives me Autoexec.bin and Magiclantern.bin and no .FIR file due to the missing build_fir7.py file which I understand to be the AES encryption to make a FIR file.

Any chance you can make a bootflag FIR file so I can get it to read the Autoexec.bin files as I understand they don't have to be encrypted and would allow me to help out.

Currently trying to get QEMU installed but I obviously won't be able to get that working without FW either.

Cheers.

Pierro777

Hi A1ex,

I was about to buy a 70d to run ML but I'd consider getting an 80d to help out testing, the guy in the other thread that was helping out says he's back tho. As far as doing physical modes or coding. I'm no help. Totally not my field of experience. If there's a chance 80d can be cracked id be willing to give it a shot instead of the 70d