"Live time" bulb mode

Started by Tinnunculus, August 03, 2012, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinnunculus

Im new to this forum, hello to all of ML fans and dev's...

Today I have found an article, describing an interesting feature, found on the olympus OM-D. Its called Live time bulb mode.
The point of the feature is that you can see the image on the display while its being exposed-before its taken completely.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4GARfL2OrHw

It should be useful for luminography, "light painting", may be astrophoto...or when you just dont know the right parameters for a long exposure...you stop when you like the outcome.

Would it be possible to make it a feature of magic lantern? What do you think?

c2s07

That's certainly an interesting feature. It could be useful for night scenes, especially if it was also accompanied with a working histogram (often you won't be able to nail the exact bulb time required for maximum image quality).

But I fear that Magic Lantern won't be enough to make this possible on current Canons, I wish I was wrong though.

scrax

that's a really nice feat for light painting, ifpossible to have it on ML would be great.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malcolm Debono

Would be great!

At the moment, to capture long exposures, I first take a test shot at a very high ISO, until I get a good exposure. Then I lower the ISO and compensate the same stops through shutter speed.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

scrax

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 05, 2012, 05:20:46 PM
At the moment, to capture long exposures, I first take a test shot at a very high ISO, until I get a good exposure. Then I lower the ISO and compensate the same stops through shutter speed.

Me too, but for luminography or light painting it will be a killer feat I think.
Maybe if that could not be done we can use Exposure fusion and multiple shorter shots to get a preview of what we can do after in post when mergin the pics.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

Can be done in movie mode, at 1fps maybe. Of course, resolution will be limited.

3pointedit

Pretty cool, a subversion of the double exposure mode that (I think) Pentax has. Couldn't intravalometer do the same thing, you just stack images in post as an add function?
ML doesn't do any post processing in camera between images, but the camera does some digic magic for vignetting and CA fixes on each image. And I guess it does dark subtraction on long exposures too, could that be subverted to a different function for adding frames instead of subtracting noise?
550D on ML-roids

Kromofone

Hmm, if Magic lantern could be ported to the new EOS-M camera, would it be possible to integrate this feature in in, since it is a mirrorless camera and would be easier to do it? Just wondering...

scrax

I was thinking about something like 3pointed suggested,
Using intervallometer and exposure fusion or something similar with an option to automate it.