canon 60d soft video, how to get more detal and sharp?

Started by capitansolo, July 13, 2012, 11:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capitansolo

Hi all!
While recording video i noticed that video was a bit soft
i looked for a solution an found that a lot of people has the same "problem"
Quotehttp://www.digitalphotographywriter.com/2011/01/soft-images-issue-on-60d-lens-or-camera.html

Is that there is any way in ML for recording with more detail or any other solution?
Perpahps, anyone from here that have a 60D can tell me about his video and opinion.

Bye!

Malcolm Debono

Sharpness is usually attributed to the lens, not the body. What lens are you using?

Also, if you really want more sharpness, you can increase it by editing the picture style within the camera, but I wouldn't recommend it (actually I turn it all the way down). I'd rather increase sharpness in post if I need to.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

capitansolo

ACtually, im using a 50mm f1.4... Do you have detail while recording, faces for examples? my videos are very plain.

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B00009XVCZ

I use the camera for interviews and wedding events, any recomendations for that? any link for a good and cheap lenses? im starting with that dont have much money to spend

Malcolm Debono

Are you using it wide open (at f/1.4)? Reducing the aperture should make your picture sharper (try around f/2.8).

Can you post some examples of shots which you think aren't sharp?
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

capitansolo

YEs, i can do few snapshots from my videos..
I will upload and posted tomorrow.
Thanks for help me Malcolm

capitansolo

unity2k

Hey Capitansolo, this looks likely that you are shooting at f1.4. I say that because it appears there is a very narrow focal plain in focus somewhere near the guys back (look at the bottom right of the man's shirt and the grass next to it.) At f1.4 if you are photographing or filming a face, the tip of the nose can be in focus and the eye's won't be - it is that narrow a band of focus. The person who told you to try f2.0 and above is giving you great advice, even f1.8 is a lot easier to work with.

capitansolo

Im a little confusing...F is not linked for the light? i thought F with little numbers has more luminosity  than others, because that i bought that canon 50mm f1.4 lenses.. Althought fa has a high DOF that others, or not?

Francis

Yes, lower f-stop number = more light. But also lower f-stop number = shallower depth of field/less in focus meaning softer image and harder to focus.

eyeoftheabyss

I also have a 60D and a few months ago was worried about softness in photos.  I learned that RAW images are soft, sharpness must be applied to RAW images (whether in-camera jpeg or post). 

Here's my question for video, especially if one uses a flat picture profile, but also if not:  If RAW is WYSIWYG from the sensor and video is in-camera processing of (RAW) sensor data to jpeg, then why is the almost universally but never explained advice, "turn sharpness to 0"? 

If the advice continues, it's usually that one adds sharpness in post.

BUT, postprocessing on jpeg images destroys data, so.... why not have sharpness be processed in-camera so as much data gets written in the 8-bit images as possible?