Any Docs About How Standard Canon Settings Compound RAW Settings - 7D?

Started by fluid-image, September 29, 2014, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluid-image

I've just taken the plunge with Magic Lantern on an old 7D I had kicking about. I've never considered it a serious tool for filmmaking because of the obvious caveats like moire, poor codec, record times, rolling shutter, monitoring etc. However the RAW aspect pricked my ears up and the moire filtering and other useful improvements also made me think again how it might be useful for certain projects.

So I've been messing around with it for a few days and wondered if there is any document floating about that details what is and isn't available and how it appears that standard Canon settings compound the ML ones when in RAW mode.

For example, if I set the camera to record 720p/50 (I'm a UK user) then in RAW mode I only get 50 fps and am not able to reduce it to 25 although I do get the proper 1280x720 frame size. If I change it to 1080/25 in the Canon side I get the 25 fps but then the frame size is reduced to 1280 x 514 (that may not be precise but it's not 720 vertical pixels) So I'm after a handy chart of some sort that clearly shows what frame sizes and rates are applicable when using RAW and how the Canon 'master' settings affect it, if such a thing exists.

Any help would be appreciated and I'm totally wired by how good some of the stuff looks. It appears that even the rolling shutter has somehow been reduced and also shooting at high frame rates. Actually, another question: Why does it say 70 fps in the fps override but then you cannot actually get that in any configuration of frame sizes/formats? Is this because it's not just a 7D hack and other models do support it? The most I got was 55 fps at 720p.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.