Half Shutter press for ML Greyscale/color preview in 5x Canon preview mode

Started by N/A, September 23, 2014, 03:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

I've been shooting almost all my projects lately in 2.2k or 2.5k MLV, seeing as how we can record for more than a minute in 2k widescreen ratios (2240x938 in particular) with sound AND GD enabled. Only thing is, Greyscale is fine for framing but for monitoring the shot properly, Canon preview is essential, imho.

Is it possible to implement the ML Greyscale, or even color preview, to display when half shutter is pressed during Canon 5x preview? It would be a godsend to have this enabled during recording to check framing occasionally, but I'd even be satisfied if it were only available while not recording, so we wouldn't have to spend so much time opening the MLV menu and toggling the different previews every time we need to frame a crop shot.

Or is this already available, and I completely overlooked it?  :P
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

dpjpandone

I thought that if you set it to greyscale and then press half-shutter you get color preview? Did you try?

reddeercity

There is 3 ways to get full color and proper framing in 3x Crop mode at least on the 5D2 but I would think it to be the same
on all cameras.
In the Preview tab submenu , you can use either "Auto",  "ML Grayscale" & "HaCKed" + half shutter.
I use MLV Feb 15th Nightly , so if it's not functional in the latest Nightly then it's broken and needs to be fixed.
There is a cost to using those preview as it will reduce the amount of frames you get, (unless you have 5D3) I use "auto" preview to frame then
use "HaCKed no Preview" to get maximum frames.

N/A

No, I want to be able to leave LV in the normal Canon preview mode and just check framing occasionally with the ML preview. I know how to use the ML/Color preview, but those are too choppy (at least on the 7d) to record with while following an actor across a room and pulling focus with. Right now, half shutter press has no function when using Canon preview.

dpjpandone

OK, I understand, so when preview is set to canon, you want half-shutter to show greyscale? I think this is a good idea!

N/A

Yes exactly, thank ya. Just a quick and simple way to check framing in crop mode, and even if its not possible to do while recording, it would still be extremely useful for in between shots, especially when using a crane or tripod.