Resolve 11.1b color problem

Started by atnugo, September 15, 2014, 03:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atnugo

Hi everyone,

I'm on a different computer than usual and I just installed the newest beta of Resolve (11.1), imported a CDNG sequence converted from MLV files by RAWMagic 1.2.2 and I get very strange colors on some frames, on every footage. Those frames look black-and-white-ish, kinda like a GIF file. I thought maybe it concerned only the preview in Resolve but it is here when I export a prores proxy.
Here are two screenshots. The first one is the normal frame without any problem, and the second one is the problematic one :

I haven't experience such a thing before. I'm using the nightly build 1.1.3 2014-08-31 on a 5DIII. I've imported the sequence in lightroom and everything seems OK, so I can deduce it comes from Resolve and not ML. Anyone having the same issue, and managed a workaround ?

Thanks !

Rshred

That's strange... Only some of the frames are like this? It looks like the frame with the lines is desaturating everything else but the skin tones... I've never used resolve but is there a skin tone overlay in Resolve like in Colorista 2? It looks similar to that...
Hope this helped
Rob

atnugo

Hi Rob,

After playing a bit with the settings in Resolve, I think it's simply a bug in the new version. If I set the playhead on the problematic frame and change a setting in the RAW pael (the white balance for example), the frame becomes normal and stays normal. But the footage still appear corrupted when I move the playhead on other frames. I need to grab the earlier beta versions of Resolve 11 I think. Anyone knows where to get it ?

swinxx

Hello.

Have you tried to zoom in and out before ?
Are there any nodes applied? E.g. Denoising?
Greets

dyfid

Does your graphics card and graphics drivers meet Blackmagics minimum spec for Resolve? What operating system and how are you feeding your monitor?

If it were "simply a problem with Resolve" then all the other Resolve users out there would have same issues. I'd look closer at your setup first.

Levas

I also had some weird frames with a recent Magic Lantern build (1 september 2014 build for the 6d.)
The left is a normal frame, right is a messed up frame, both frames are in the same MLV clip.
It's like there is no information in some parts of the frame...and debayering fills it up with some basic cyan, magenta or yellow color....

So it could be in the specific magic lantern build...
But I'm not sure, so I switched back to an earlier build of Magic Lantern and waited if somebody else did noticed these frames.

dyfid

@Levas, with what apps?, all apps, with what demosaic method, all methods? What does dcraw give you demosaic'd and non demosaic'd etc

If it isn't Resolve you're using then wouldn't it be bettet to start a thread?

Levas

This frame was processed with Raw Therapee.
I shot 6 MLV clips on the same day with a new build of magic lantern (01-sept-2014 for 6d).
The first two clips contained a few of these weird frames I've never noticed before.
Since it was only in the first 2 clips and none in the other 4 clips, I'm not sure it is in the specific Magic Lantern build or that it's something else (maybe SD card that wears out  :-\ )
So I didn't find it necessary to report until I can reproduce it...

But then I saw the frame from the topic starter and the build he was using 30 august 2014, so I thought it could be in the build after all...

atnugo

QuoteDoes your graphics card and graphics drivers meet Blackmagics minimum spec for Resolve? What operating system and how are you feeding your monitor?

If it were "simply a problem with Resolve" then all the other Resolve users out there would have same issues. I'd look closer at your setup first.

I'm on a Macbook pro retina 2.3Ghz 16GO RAM Intel Iris Pro so no reason for Resolve to behave like this in my opinion. And again, not the whole footage is corrupted but only some frames in it, and when I tweak one of those frames (contrast, WB, exposure...) it goes back to normal permanently. And as I mentioned before, the same footage in lightroom presents no corrupted frame at all.
That's why I deduce it comes from Resolve and not the build, but I might be wrong.

Levas, I can't see your screenshot. Is it the same problem ?

So no one experiencing the same bugs with the newest beta of Resolve ?

Levas

No, my screenshot shows a different problem.
I have some small parts in the frame where it looks like data is missing, and these parts are filled in with magenta/ yellow / or cyan color.

You're frame looks like it's missing data too, but you can see structure in the couch etc, it's only black and white  :-\
Are you sure there's nothing going on with an alpha channel setting in davinci resolve  ???

atnugo

Nope the clips are straight CDNG added in the media pool and played without any modifications on it.
I reinstalled the 11.0 version from the app store and I get the same problem BUT when I add a LUT on the problematic footage, it goes away and I'm able to render it correctly without any corrupted frame.

So I'm a bit confused right now, I have no idea what's going on, it is still an annoying problem to deal with but it seems that I can make it work by tweaking some settings in the RAW panel. Weird.

dyfid

Quote from: atnugo on September 15, 2014, 03:48:08 PM
I'm on a Macbook pro retina 2.3Ghz 16GO RAM Intel Iris Pro so no reason for Resolve to behave like this in my opinion.

It doesn't matter what your opinion is, Resolve is built for NVidia and AMD. Intel graphics to my knowledge are not supported, have you checked minimum specification in the Resolve config guide? What physical screen size?

QuoteAnd again, not the whole footage is corrupted but only some frames in it, and when I tweak one of those frames (contrast, WB, exposure...) it goes back to normal permanently.

Then it sounds like it's the initial demosaic of the DNG.

QuoteAnd as I mentioned before, the same footage in lightroom presents no corrupted frame at all.
That's why I deduce it comes from Resolve and not the build, but I might be wrong.

Yes, Resolve is causing the error but it's not a bug in Resolve, your machine does not meet the specification to run it. Workaround is to use a different machine for Resolve, or put up with the iffy performance or stick to LR.

QuoteSo no one experiencing the same bugs with the newest beta of Resolve ?

It's not a bug.

atnugo

Thanks for your feedback dyfid, that would explain why I don't get this behavior on my iMac 2011 which implements AMD graphics. This means Resolve cannot be the solution when working with newer macbooks. Dang !