Emergency shut down - is the MVI file recoverable?

Started by eangel1827, September 08, 2014, 05:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eangel1827

I worked a wedding Friday, September 5th and had the ML 50d set up in back to record video just for fun. (I was also filming with the 6d and my second with the 70d). During the ceremony, an awesome thunderstorm rolled in. I had rain covers in my pocket, but I sort of panic'd also. I wanted to make SURE the equipment wasn't damaged, so I popped the battery out of the gear I knew got wet.
   So: good news, all cameras still work after the drenching (and that 50d was SOGGY!). Bad news - I can see my MVI file, but it doesn't read. My guess is that I never properly "stopped" the recording, and so the file didn't author itself properly. It can import. It has a file type, a size, a date... basically I'm hopeful. But it can't play in Quick Time, Windows Media, Sony Vegas, or Lightroom. Any guesses on what to try next?

ayshih

I'm confused: the 50D doesn't record MVI?  Do you mean MOV or MLV?  I'm guessing MOV?
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

eangel1827

Well, that's interesting. I suppose I mean MOV, but all my video file types are named MVI_###  and associated with Quick Time Player. I guess I'll check QTP settings and make sure it's not hijacking my file formats.

reddeercity

You are in luck, some time ago when I was still working in H264 I had a battery go dead on my 5D2
in the middle of a interview . Basically all the data was there but fail to write the header in time.
There's a program I found to fix any .mov file from h264 to apple prores intermediate codec file .
Called "Video Repair Software" link-->http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5
There is a  free demo version that will repair 50% of the file.
But to get 100% you need to buy a license , there is two types available.
1) Single-user license for 5 repairs: $29 EUR + tax
2) Single-user license for unlimited repairs: $99 EUR + tax
I bought the unlimited license and repaired the file and save my interview/documentary.
All you do is load the file with the bad header and then load a good file this about the same size
So if the bad one is 4GB, load a good 4GB file and the program rebuilds the header from that and goes thought the data byte for byte.(dose take some time )
Then builds a new file from the two other files , A life saver will worth the $100.0 to save the project.