can't sync audio to video with hn4 what am i doing wrong

Started by kforcool, September 01, 2014, 05:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kforcool

the audio is much bigger than the video and it is impossible to sync audio is there a resolution to this I'm new to magic lantern and i can see the video quality is much better than canons normal firmware but for the life of me it is frustrating that i can not sync audio just docent happen it seems the longer the video the more out of sync it gets

Frank7D

Are you sure? It is normal for the audio to be longer than the video; it should still be in sync if you line up the front ends.

kforcool

yeah i lined up the clap and buy the end of the video the audio is way out I'm talking buy seconds so its rather significant I'm not sure if its to do with the video settings or what i can easily line up a go pro footage with external audio no problem but with magic lantern footage it is way of when i put it into FCP so i don't no if its cause my capture settings are of i have also noticed my mark iii  footage is not in true hd 1920 to 1080 its at 1916 to 1076 i was using raw magic lite to convert files to compressor but i recently got the full version. i scene a few post on this topic that  mentioning FPS override but when i use this my footage is ether to fast or very jerky whats the proper settings for video using external recorder?

kforcool

I'm using a 32gb cf lexxor card think its 1000 x and H4n with SD card but buy the end of video the audio is way out

reddeercity

Hi, I'm a FCPX ,5D2  user with 32 & 64 Lexar 1000x cards & I have a  Zoom H4n and I don't have a problem syncing audio .
I do record Audio in Cam with MLV @ 23.976p with frame over ride enable to exact ( That's important )
I  make ProRes 4444 XQ in Adobe A.E. sync audio from the cam,  off set the audio by 7 to 9 frame.
Sync the master Audio from H4n in FCPX with a project setting of 23.976p. That's it , I know early days in the development of Raw there was
Some drifting but Frame over ride to exact fix that.
So my next question to you is
1:What's the Camera & build date ?
2:What are your  Camera settings (MLV+Audio or Raw, Frame Rate, Frame Over Ride enable to exact)Etc... ?
3: How are you Processing the Raw files (converter) to make ProRes files ?
4: What is the Project Setting in NLE

Edit: I also use a Ninja HDMI recorder and no problems syncing to that.

kforcool

1. i use a 5d mark iii cam
2. its the nightly build 1.2.3
3. my camera setting is in recording mode raw i haven't been using mlv
4. I'm using raw magic lite then transferring it in compression to make prores files
5. not sure what you mean by NLE

i just played around in FCPx with audio speed on a test shot i did and speed the audio up two 120% and i was able to get next to a perfect manuel audio sync but surely there is an easier way maybe I'm missing something in the middle with converting the files to pro res

what are the correct settings in magic lantern to make audio sync easier with out on board audio. the audio on mark iii is terrible i was testing it with out magic lantern and it is unbearable and the image quality can not compete with magic lantern hack

what is the best program to convert dng files to moving image? I've been using compressor i also don't have AE
i just bought the full version of raw magic so it can convert mlv files is this better?

kforcool

i don't have FPS over ride enabled what is the correct setting there?

reddeercity

Not sure about the 5D3 but on the 5D2 I set Frame Over Ride to "exact" 23.976
Camera-specific discussion Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III 1.2.3--> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017.msg106777#msg106777
This Thread is for your camera have a look for info there.
Quote5. not sure what you mean by NLE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system
Quotewhat is the best program to convert dng files to moving image?
Adobe A.E. with ACR is the best , but in apple products I would use Apple Motion just because you will have grading ability .
Compressor Ok, FYI you can edit Cdng native in FCPX as a compound clip.
I made a video tutorial on the Cdng workflow for FCPX-->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f74YXys5o5I&list=UU85LQxEaeM6n_qguZwIG1_Q
It's a little dated as a made this 11 mouth ago but the info is still good. *Note* If OSX Finder can read the Cdng/dng properly (No pink or green cast)
FCPX will see it and can be edited without issue.
There is also ML Raw Viewer 1.2.3--> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165
It's cross platform and can convert MLV/Raw with 3D luts to .mov ProRes 4444 or 422HQ but I would stay with at least ProRes4444.
Hopes this helps .

kforcool

wouldn't have a clue about NLE setting I'm only using four programs
1.FCPX
2.MOTION 5
3.RAWMAGIC
4.COMPRESSOR
ive tryed setting the fps override it comes up saying 23.976 then changes to 2.497  so is that the right one? i noticed when i used compressor it changes the frames rate to 29.97 fps not sure if i can change that ill look into it is there a tut out there that would explain the correct work flow to extract and process raw footage properly i see i might just have a lack of understanding with it.
also what does ACR stand for ? adobe i figure but the CR part?

if i do the frame per fps over ride my video becomes to fast

my problem probably lies in that i didn't set the right frame rate in compressor it was set at 29 fps and i figured out the proper setting for fps override

thanks for your help i have all sorted it out now so my videos will sync it was to do with incorrect frame settings in compression and probably a bit of incorrect settings in magic lantern now i have to figure out how to colour correct i see a lot of people using davinci resolve lite so might check it out thanks for your help

Please use the edit feature rather then filling threads with your own posts.  //Audionut