MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

Quote from: voblaunsane on June 17, 2017, 04:58:29 PM
Also just noticed that mlvfs does not offer time code?
Actually it does. Every DNG frame has it's time code in the header.

voblaunsane

yeah, sorry it's raw2cng, not mlv.. Tried 3 methods to access dngs on that same 23.976 file and can confirm that both mlvfs virtual cdngs and cdngs extracted to a drive are stuttering and are impossible to work with, overal cpu load is *only* 18%.. Now using extracted dngs wit raw2cdng (16bit maximised) procesor load goes up to ~40% and it's playing back normally..

@bouncyball, any idea why is this happening??

bouncyball

Quote from: voblaunsane on June 20, 2017, 12:26:08 PM
@bouncyball, any idea why is this happening??
Nope. I have to take a look at DNGs produced by raw2dng.

I don't even know how raw2dng does (as you say) 16 bit maximization - really converts values to 16 bit (black/white will be also affected) or just unpacks them to 16 bit word.

voblaunsane

Also just noticed that mlvfs does not offer time code?

ok, so the reason I thought mlvfs does not offer timecode was because the first frame is reporting 00:00:00.00 when I'm using free runing timecode, hence it's incorrect!..

and first frame extracted with raw2cdng has a timecode of 15:47:12.0 which is a correct timecode!

Quote from: bouncyball on June 20, 2017, 02:44:11 PM
Nope. I have to take a look at DNGs produced by raw2dng.

I don't even know how raw2dng does (as you say) 16 bit maximization - really converts values to 16 bit (black/white will be also affected) or just unpacks them to 16 bit word.

I wish I could understand that code or the theory behind it, but I'm sure you could see how it's done here: https://bitbucket.org/chmee/raw2cdng

mlvfs 1st frame:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzU9K72Ryy5YMEZnN3Z2V3BrNTQ

raw2cdng 1st frame:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzU9K72Ryy5Ya1FIaFNfNGxaQ0k

Danne

Timecode starts from zero then counts frames synched with fps. Are you referring to timestamp? Can't check the files atm.

voblaunsane

Quote from: Danne on June 21, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
Timecode starts from zero then counts frames synched with fps. Are you referring to timestamp? Can't check the files atm.

Well on 5d mkIII 1.2.3 I have two timecode options:
rec run, which starts from zero and
free run, which is equal to cam time..

I'm talking about free running, because it's the setting of my choice..
My point is, raw2cdng dng files gets it right and also cam native MOV files gets it right and mlvfs seem to lack this functionality..

bouncyball

@voblaunsane:

Thanks for DNG files. Used exiftool and rawdigger to view the raw data.

raw2cdng (in maximized mode) converts and interpolates 10/12/14 bit values to real 16bit range (0-65535) and sets Black level to 0 and White level to 65535 in DNG header. But I can't say why NLE likes those DNGs more than MLVFS produced ones and why it chokes on your system when fps is 23.976.

And you are right about the time code. MLVFS always starts from 00:00:00.00. It seems raw2cdng gets time from RTCI block and sets timecode start to that time and then increments according to FPS.

bb

arboldeconfianza

Hi guys I wanna begin with MLVFS WORKFLOW in macbook pro, I used after effects and my macbook pro have ati radeon and cudda is not compatible, anybody haved experience with final cut in MLV workflow?, probably in the future i can make a test and share!, thank you!!

8rnity

hi, is it possible NOT to mount "_PREVIEW.gif" file and "*.log" files?
these two files block AE to import DNG sequence dragging in the relative folder.
I can't find an option in command, and is a trouble as if I import all DNG files as sequence and not as folder when I render in camera raw just first file will be adjusted.
instead, when I import the whole folder, modify original is enough to modify overall sequence in the folder.

hope I explained well. thank you.

8rnity

well, the problem is not the presence of *.log and _PREVIEW.gif but the NAME format of log file mounted.
to fix this it needs to be mounted with _ at the start of filename.
example:

filename.MLV > MOUNT > _PREVIEW.gif, filename.log, filename_000000.dng, filename_000001.dng ... etc
AE analyze filename.log as first file of sequence as its structure is similar to .dng files and returns error.

if filename.log is mounted as _filename.log everything goes well.

please would someone fix it or help me to modify the source and recompile.
thank you.

COMMANDES

Whether it is possible to include AA algorithms as AMaZE or mean32 not only in the mode of Dual-ISO processing, but also for normal RAW video to get rid of aliasing?
Canon 650D, EOSM 2.02, M50 1.1.0

sys73r

Quote from: arboldeconfianza on June 22, 2017, 08:13:02 PM
Hi guys I wanna begin with MLVFS WORKFLOW in macbook pro, I used after effects and my macbook pro have ati radeon and cudda is not compatible, anybody haved experience with final cut in MLV workflow?, probably in the future i can make a test and share!, thank you!!

1) Download it, double click on the file it will install as service.
2) You can either copy the RAW files from your camera to the Mac or keep them in the camera (slower)
3) right click on the directory you have the MLV (RAW) files (on step 2)
4) Create or use an empty directory whenever you want (movies, downloads, anywhere.)
5) In the menu, go to the end SERVICES > MVLFS and it will ask you to SELECT a "mount point" choose the directory you create or use on STEP 4
6) It will open a browser window with options and current status of the process, once completed go to the DIRECTORY on STEP 4, there you have your usable files. you can now open them with "MlRawViewer.app" (https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/) you can use any other app out there it's just a suggestion, you can review and export the files for further post-processing.

I wrote the instructions off the top my head. so feel free to check me.

cheers.

nikki

Quote from: sys73r on July 11, 2017, 04:15:31 AM
1) Download it, double click on the file it will install as service.
2) You can either copy the RAW files from your camera to the Mac or keep them in the camera (slower)
3) right click on the directory you have the MLV (RAW) files (on step 2)
4) Create or use an empty directory whenever you want (movies, downloads, anywhere.)
5) In the menu, go to the end SERVICES > MVLFS and it will ask you to SELECT a "mount point" choose the directory you create or use on STEP 4
6) It will open a browser window with options and current status of the process, once completed go to the DIRECTORY on STEP 4, there you have your usable files. you can now open them with "MlRawViewer.app" (https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/) you can use any other app out there it's just a suggestion, you can review and export the files for further post-processing.

I wrote the instructions off the top my head. so feel free to check me.

cheers.

Boygetslost

Do people think the MLVFS is that much better then something like Rawmagic?

With MLVFS  once you have mounted the MLV files, is it best to load them directly. Or copy them out of the mounted drive so they are just normal DNG folders?

Thanks

Chris

justinbacle

Quote from: Boygetslost on July 16, 2017, 08:26:33 AM
With MLVFS  once you have mounted the MLV files, is it best to load them directly. Or copy them out of the mounted drive so they are just normal DNG folders?

The best thing is that you load them directly so that you don't have to store DNGs and the original MVL footage. As mlvfs allows to make changes on the fly (chroma smoothing, banding removal ans so on) I just keep all the MLV files and fire up MLVFS when needed to work with these files.

garfield72

Hello, I installed Dokany and download MLVFS_x86, now I don't know what to do with the MLVFS zip file.
Should it be decompressed? And where to copy it?

How to use
"Start it via the command line like this:
Code: [Select]
cd <mlvfs_exe_dir>
mlvfs.exe <mount point> --mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>"

Thanks for your help

François

the associate

Hi, relative newb to terminal commands in Ubuntu 16.04. Just wondering if someone who's installed MLVFS on Linux successfully can share their step by step command lines? As per the app's installation instructions, I've already installed FUSE, and also have an unzipped MLVFS Master File ready to go in my downloads folder. Just not sure how to compile from the command line using MAKE. I see this example in the Installation ReadMe:

<< mlvfs <mount point> --mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>  >>

Just wondering if any Linux users out there can cut and paste their actual terminal command lines? Am decent at cutting and pasting my own values over existing templates, but am still not all that well-versed in generating original terminal commands from scratch.

To date, have been able to run most of my ML programs (MLV Mystic, MLRawViewer, etc.) via wine, but alas, no can do with MLVFS. Help?

justinbacle

Quote from: garfield72 on July 17, 2017, 08:05:15 AM
Hello, I installed Dokany and download MLVFS_x86, now I don't know what to do with the MLVFS zip file.
Should it be decompressed? And where to copy it?

How to use
"Start it via the command line like this:
Code: [Select]
cd <mlvfs_exe_dir>
mlvfs.exe <mount point> --mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>"

Thanks for your help

François

Here is my cmd file to launch MLVFS :

r:
cd R:\MLRAW\MLVFS_x64
mlvfs_x64.exe V: --mlv-dir=R:\50D
pause

Where R:\MLRAW\MLVFS_x64 is the path where I unzipped the MLVFS zip file
and R:\50D is the path were are stored my MLV footage files
You'll have to install dokany before launching the script to make it work.
Once it is launched, just go http://localhost:8000/ on your favorite web browser to see the settings and preview the files

Hope it helps :)

dmilligan

This should be all you need to do to compile on ubuntu (not tested)

sudo apt-get install libfuse-dev
sudo apt-get install git
cd ~/
git clone https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs
cd mlvfs/mlvfs
make

garfield72

Thanks justinbacle, i create a cmd file with:

c:
cd C:\MLVFS_x64
mlvfs_x64.exe V: --mlv-dir=C:\RAW
pause

When i launch it, i have the message (see cmd.png), after i go to http://localhost:8000/ and i have the message (see brownser.png).

how to do?

reddeercity

I don't understand what the browser message is  , but I bet that's the default browser Microsoft Edge  right ?
I have nothing but trouble with it , it doesn't even support it's own Silverlight plugin .
Use a different browser e.g. IE 11 (Internet Explorer) or maybe chrome , firefox , etc... or change the security setting
without the web page GUI you can still go to the virtual drive to get the Cdng's you just don't have access to the option

garfield72

Hello, the browser is not edge but Opera and I have the same message with firefox. I will try without the GUI, but or found the virtual drive? Is my cmd file good?

Thanks

François

dmilligan

It's very unlikely the browser, the MLVFS webgui only uses super basic and very standard HTML and JS stuff. Probably the problem is either you didn't start MLVFS from the correct directory (the one with the webgui support files) or you need to use the -f switch to force foreground mode (on *nix OSs this is necessary, not sure how dokany/Windows works).

justinbacle

Quote from: garfield72 on July 18, 2017, 07:12:24 PM
Thanks justinbacle, i create a cmd file with:

c:
cd C:\MLVFS_x64
mlvfs_x64.exe V: --mlv-dir=C:\RAW
pause

When i launch it, i have the message (see cmd.png), after i go to http://localhost:8000/ and i have the message (see brownser.png).

how to do?

There is a problem with your cmd file or with your installation of MLVFS, you should see the "pause" if there is no problem when launched.
Did you get an error message when launching the cmd file ?

garfield72

Hello, when lauching the cmd file, i have no error (see attached files).
My folder MLVFS_x64 is in the under C:\

image hosting
 and the folder which contains MLV footage files (RAW)also.

François