5D MKIII - Euroblast X Festival Teaser

Started by Eggeh, September 10, 2014, 09:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eggeh

Another commission I've been on here. The pitch we've set for the teaser was about the feeling of energy and joy this festival gives and how the audience itself is the festival, along with the artists. Being an extreme/progressive metal fest with an ecclectic line-up, I had carte blanche for the way of gathering this (you can watch the trailer I did for the previous edition here, very different) so I focused on trying to bring the happy chaos you're in while in the middle of the crowd, all around the X. I had a quite short deadline so I just just brought my 5D with a shoulder rig to another festival we were playing at last month and started shooting the crowd in the pit. Ended up only using the 50mm f/1.8 as my wider lenses gave too much hints that the festival where it was shot was outdoor (Euroblast being indoor).

Mostly shot in 1920*818 RAW at 30FPS, shutter at 1/120 and ISOs ranging from 1600 to 6400 then played back at 23.976FPS. I exported the raw files as DNG, graded them in Resolve (no denoise) then exported them as QT Tiffs. The editing was done in Sony Vegas with a mix of these images and a few motion graphics and texts I exported from After Effects. The music comes from a demo version of our next album.

Again the camera behaved perfectly well and I only had to fix one black-level shifting file in the end. Really considering to progressively switch my compositing-heavy style to something featuring much more real elements, it's been a smooth pleasure to get through this project.
5D Mark III - Game Boy Camera - Samyang 24mm t1.5 - Samyang 14mm f/2.8 - Canon 50mm f/1.8