Request: Crop mode OFF option (RAW)

Started by KelvinK, February 03, 2015, 10:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KelvinK

Would be really helpful addition to make CROP mode recording OFF option in RAW.

I mean, when you press magnify to check focus, to record video without crop we've to press magnify several times until it's in normal mode and only after this you can press record button.
Having option that allow after pressing record button instantly switch LV to normal mode from magnified and record without crop would be really great and speed up process. Basically add an option to make it work same as it works with non-RAW recording.
I might be wrong for other cameras, but on 6D it works like this. It's often when I'm in rush (get focus and press record asap) losing shots, because it start recording in crop.

Thanx.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Audionut

If you have global draw off while recording, you could probably use magic zoom.

KelvinK

Quote from: Audionut on February 03, 2015, 11:10:16 AM
If you have global draw off while recording, you could probably use magic zoom.

Yes, I could but still using full LV screen for precise focus often if more reliable to get it right. Also in some situations (run'n'gun) it's really important to see full scene, then having some part covered with zoomed window. As addition, I would say magic-zoom on 6D doesn't work same as on 5D. Option when it should be only on when you turning focus ring doesn't work. sometimes it pops, sometimes not, so you've to choose it all time visible.

I was thinking about this auto-off option, since it could be really useful for many and should't be hard to implement?

Thanx.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Audionut

The biggest issue is that there is already an large amount of menu options for raw recording, and this would be yamlmo.

KelvinK

Quote from: Audionut on February 04, 2015, 12:19:32 AM
The biggest issue is that there is already an large amount of menu options for raw recording, and this would be yamlmo.

Fair enough.

Back to magic-zoom solution. When I use option - pop when magnify pressed, it works ok, but then I've to press magnify again to remove it. Possible to make it auto-remove after pressing record button? At least on 6D magic-zoom is  on after pressing record button. It's quite important when you have few seconds to catch the scene.

Thanx.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Audionut

What about the MLV option to disable global draw while recording?

KelvinK

Quote from: Audionut on February 04, 2015, 08:54:42 AM
What about the MLV option to disable global draw while recording?

Then we'll probably lose the crop marks 2:20, so would be problematic to compose real scene. On 6D raw module with latest (i think since march 2014) builds doesn't make stable black crop lines (i mean crop from resolution, not bmp), often they just disapear so you've use crop-marks bmp file.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

As an idea, possible to make disappear magic-zoom when press record ONLY when large size selected? It's obviously people don't need large zoom while recording since it's covering half of the LV and you can't compose the scene this way.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

a1ex

You already have the option to keep the 10x zoom view only as long as you keep the shutter button pressed halfway (in Prefs menu).

Quote from: KelvinK on February 03, 2015, 12:35:38 PM
I would say magic-zoom on 6D doesn't work same as on 5D. Option when it should be only on when you turning focus ring doesn't work. sometimes it pops, sometimes not, so you've to choose it all time visible.

Where's your bug report?

As I understand, you request a new feature because some other existing feature doesn't work properly. Why not fix the existing one instead?

KelvinK

Quote from: a1ex on February 04, 2015, 10:01:29 AM
You already have the option to keep the 10x zoom view only as long as you keep the shutter button pressed halfway (in Prefs menu).

Where's your bug report?

As I understand, you request a new feature because some other existing feature doesn't work properly. Why not fix the existing one instead?

Since 6D is blindly maintained is there any chance bugs will be fixed? If so, I will report of course.
Still feature with turning off crop-mode recording when zooed in RAW would be handy.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

a1ex

If no active developers have a particular camera model, they have no way to know a bug exists if you don't report it.

Can't promise a fix, but at least I can give advice on where to look or what to try.

Quentin

Is there a possibility to use Crop mode and record mov ?
I had the need to record a speech and my lens wasnt as tele as I wanted. RAW recording for long video is painful.
Thank you