Update file cannot be found

Started by metalvinny, August 11, 2014, 02:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalvinny

Hey every,
I've been using magic lantern for a few years now. I've got it on two SD cards and I just picked up a fast 64gb sandisk to be my new main card. I tried to set up ML on that card and it just keeps displaying the "Update file cannot be found" dialogue when I attempt the firmware update process. I've formatted the card multiple times on both my PC and in camera, I've cleared camera settings. Not sure what else to try. I've read a bit about some users using boot disk utilities? I have absolutely no idea how any of that works or what programs to use. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Cam used?
ML version used?

Format card in cam. Download latest nightly build for your cam. Extract contents and transfer extracted contents to card (cardreader).
Then run Canon's update procedure.
Results?

chris_overseas

It sounds like you don't have a valid ML firmware file available on the SD card. Make sure that there was an appropriate .FIR file included in the ML zip file you downloaded, and that you have copied it to the root of your SD card. If the correct .FIR file is not there, you'll see the error you describe.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

metalvinny

I'm on a canon t2i and the card is a sandisk extreme 45mb/s 64gb. I'm using ML 2.3, the latest stable release. I've successfully installed it on several other cards (32gb 16gb, sandisk).

And yes, I've got the 550d fir file in the root of the card's directory. Late response is because I'm traveling, at the moment, and I appreciate the replies!

dmilligan

The old installer (v2.3) does not work to install with cards larger than 32GB. You can either:
1. Use the latest installer version from the nighties (if there is one for the 550D yet, IDK).
2. Make the card bootable with a computer utility (EOSCard, or Macboot).

Datadogie

Format card. Run EOScard to make card bootable (remember to click the relevant boxes.) then copy an paste ML and modules. Done.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

metalvinny

Quote from: Datadogie on August 14, 2014, 07:55:54 PM
Format card. Run EOScard to make card bootable (remember to click the relevant boxes.) then copy an paste ML and modules. Done.

Somehow, I had entirely missed that part about EOScard in the download guide. I ran EOScard and extracted the .zip to the card, and it worked perfectly. THANK YOU!

I'm hiking the high sierra trail next week (7 days, 72 miles) and now I've got enough memory and batteries to film the entire trip.