[ALREADY DONE] mirror lockup - not vibration free

Started by meik, September 07, 2014, 07:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meik

First i want to thank for the voluntary work on developing Magic Lantern, it really improved my Canon 7D. 

Now to my issue:
On most of the newer canon cameras you can choose "Silentmode" during liveview operation. With this setting set at "mode 2" the camera uses an electronic first shutter curtain to make pictures.
I realised that with lenses longer than 200mm at exposure times > 1/300s images get considerably sharper when shot in  silent mode compared with mirror lockup. At really long focal lenghts the difference becomes drastic. The reason for this observation is that mlu prevents the vibration caused by the mirror but not by the mechanical shutter movement, so even with mirror lockup feature there is still significant vibration during exposure.
Since I realised this effect, I have used liveview to take wildlife pictures in order to get the full sharpnes.
But shooting telephoto lenses with liveview is very inconvenient, especcialy because you cant use the fast autofocus (allways turning liveview on and off is clearly not feasible).

So in order to improve the mlu feature I make the request to add an option for "shutter lockup". In the most simple way the camera would automatically switch to liveview after locking up the mirror, take the picture after x seconds and turn livewiev off.
But maby you folks know even "cleaner" solutions?

Best regards,
Meik

a1ex

Already done (two methods):

- with hand-held MLU tricks: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3236
- with LiveView and motion detection: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3511

The second method, with a high threshold, should be exactly what you are looking for.

meik

Thank you, the second method dose its job, albeit it is a misuse of this tool.
What I mean it could do better for my intended purpose :

-More convinient to press full shutter (also because of the AF)
-To have influence on the intervall between shutter press and exposure
-No need of motion detection processing here

To achieve this, it is only necessary to add liveview in the function of mlu handheld and implement it under a new name e.g. "liveview mlu".

I know I'm a bit demanding but I again have to emphasize that with this function all those who dont want to dispense with fast AF using telephoto lenses at longer exposure times could improve the image resolution in the amount of the restriction caused by vibration of the shutter mechanism.

a1ex

I know, but intercepting the full shutter press is beyond my level of understanding Canon code. With the MLU trick, once the mirror went up, you can no longer enter LiveView without resetting the mirror status.

For autofocus, a short half-shutter press (less than 0.5 s) will not trigger LiveView.

For motion detection, a large threshold will almost cancel it (unless the camera is shaking really hard), so it should be fine.
Or you can set the lowest threshold, which means the motion detection will never trigger, then you can fully press the shutter to take the picture. So, you would have short half-shutter for AF, long half-shutter for going into LiveView, and full press for taking the picture.