Beautiful Dolomites (5D3 raw, Glidecam HD2000)

Started by kgv5, August 20, 2014, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Here is video which i shot in Dolomites, Italy, in Marmolada mountain area during 8 days vacations.
Filmed on a Canon 5D Mark III entirely in raw format (mlv) 1920x1080.

EDIT

This is the second video
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

alexoki

Fantastic footage, bravo! Stunning scenery and beautiful camera work.
Couple of technical questions for you. I see from the link that you used the Nexto 2730 to download your files inthe field. Does the Nexto support ExFat and file sizes over 4gb? Can you format the CF card to ExFat with the Nexto also?
Were you using ND filters or polarizer?

kgv5

Hi, thanks for the nice words :)
Nexto 2730 has ExFat now after firmware update and accepts files heavier than 4GB without any problems. When i bought it it didnt have this feature so it was very problematic to use, now it is brilliant :)
Copying 64GB komputerbay 1000x card takes about 8-10 minutes in "fast copy" mode, you can also use "copy and verify" option - it would take two times longer. It doesnt have "format card" option, you can only format internal HDD as exfat. To keep exfat on CF card i dont use in camera format (fat only) but the file manager and just deleting all files from there.
I didnt use ND filter at all, only circular polarizer (it also lowers exposition about 2 stops).

dude

It s so nice to see somebody who knows how to use the glidecam!
you re 1 out of 1000000

Canon eos m

kgv5. this is awesome stuff. can you please a 'how to video'. i would love to learn. pls.  :)
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

redaber

Nice work! did you shoot in 50fps and slowed it down?

kgv5

Thanks :) Everything was shot at 23.98, no slow motion at all.

Taranis

Wow man, that's absolutely wonderful! Any chance you could upload the original? I'd like to see it without the youtube compression.

redaber

damn it man, did you use any post stabilzation? do you got any tips gliding i got a hd4000

kgv5

Yes, ive used some warp stabilizer on some shots but 5-10% at maximum. I think it is a really great tool but it has to be used only on already smooth shots. 5-15 % doesnt give much image artifacts, at least not as much to be distracting.

kgv5

Thank you guys for all the kind words. I have recorded so much footage back then that decided to make one more video.  Enjoy. Maybe its kind of similar to the first one but this time i also used footage from DJI Phantom drone with GoPro 3 Black.

nikki

Canon eos m

Love the editing of the second video in the series.

Quote from: dude on August 21, 2014, 01:27:52 PM
It s so nice to see somebody who knows how to use the glidecam!
you re 1 out of 1000000

Agree with dude you must be the chosen one knowing how to use the GD2000  >:(
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Danne

Lasting Image

Makes me want to arrange travel to the Dolomites, NOW!
Beautiful.

KurtAugust

Quote from: alexoki on August 20, 2014, 10:41:31 PM
Fantastic footage, bravo! Stunning scenery and beautiful camera work.
Couple of technical questions for you. I see from the link that you used the Nexto 2730 to download your files inthe field. Does the Nexto support ExFat and file sizes over 4gb? Can you format the CF card to ExFat with the Nexto also?
Were you using ND filters or polarizer?

I use the nexto all the time. Exfat is supported after simple firmware update. Should be a thread about it here somewhere. Spoke to them at IBC and weren't very excited that I didn't use their ssd version for run&gun shootings (Running and offloading in this case), but it's the only affordable solution that I have. Works great.

Oops, see that it has been answered already. Btw, I use verification. And format the cards with the nexto after successful transfer.
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

kgv5

Quote from: Lasting Image on October 19, 2014, 08:21:18 PM
And format the cards with the nexto after successful transfer.

I didnt know it is possible, which firmware version do you have?

KurtAugust

Nexto firmware 2.0.1

Fill card. Start copy with verification. Continue shooting. On next full card, start up nexto that by now has gone to sleep. Says "same copy in ..., format?". Format. Start next copy. Continue shooting. Very pleasant when you are on your own and can't pull out a laptop all the time.

So far, I have never filled it's 1TB hard drive during a day of shooting. Just get or make an extra 5 volt (usb) battery.
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

rainless

Funny coincidence.  I just saw an old silent movie by Erick von Stroheim called "Blind Husbands" that was filmed exactly there in the Dolomites.

It was a tribute to Sepp Innerkofler... one of the Austrian heroes of World War I.

That mountain you show is also where he died. (I'm sure you must've seen some plaques about him around town.)
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

kgv5

Quote from: KurtAugust on October 20, 2014, 02:36:50 PM
Nexto firmware 2.0.1

Fill card. Start copy with verification. Continue shooting. On next full card, start up nexto that by now has gone to sleep. Says "same copy in ..., format?". Format. Start next copy. Continue shooting. Very pleasant when you are on your own and can't pull out a laptop all the time.

So far, I have never filled it's 1TB hard drive during a day of shooting. Just get or make an extra 5 volt (usb) battery.

Thanks for the information, i will try this for sure :) Nexto is a real life saver when filming raw, i dont take any laptop with me anymore for shooting day, nexto 500GB + two cards 64+32 seems to be enough for now.  Fully charged internal battery is also enough for filling 500GB but it is safer to have some USB powerbank around. Have to buy one.