External flash firing block

Started by mizantropia, August 19, 2014, 01:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizantropia

Hi, this one strictly for photographers.
Would be great to force ext. flash not to fire while holding * button for example.
Regards

zuber

Marsu42

Unfortunately so far "no can do" anything advanced flash-related because the flash props in the Canon fw are volatile and only accessible/existent when the flash is active. It seems the flash part of the fw is a "module" probably programed by another dev team or copy/pasted between cameras, so it's not as integrated as the rest.

I'd love to do lotsa other flash automatization features, but so far the only thing that reliably works is what is already in the stock ML (internal flash fec)... any dev feel free to re-investigate and prove me wrong though.

ainu

Marsu42, thanks for info.
I have 2 questions:
1. Possibly means of ML to cause the standard Canon menu and to change parameters in it?
2. May be means of ML to intercept pressing of the button (for example buttons of opening of the built-in flash)?
In a camera 70d there is a standard menu which allows to switch off and switch on external flash "fire".
From this also there was an idea to use it on pressing of the button.
70D.112
Excuse for my English.

fjorger

Quote from: ainu on November 25, 2015, 11:04:23 AM
1. Possibly means of ML to cause the standard Canon menu and to change parameters in it?
2. May be means of ML to intercept pressing of the button (for example buttons of opening of the built-in flash)?
In a camera 70d there is a standard menu which allows to switch off and switch on external flash "fire".
From this also there was an idea to use it on pressing of the button.

I agree, for example 7D has the internal flash switch popup, and it would be great to use that switch (when a external flash is present) to do a flip flop (ENABLE Flash / DISABLE Flash), because currently we either use the great function (already available) that takes one picture Without Flash and another with Flash, or we need to go to MENU and ENABLE/DISABLE Flash. This takes time and is not practical :(, sometime I just use the External Flash Power Switch to disable/enable the Flash.
But again it's not good because it's not a push button, but a mechanical movement (and we end up shaking the camera).

Thanks,
Regards,

FJorgeR.