7D-No "Raw Video" option under "Movie" in ML menu

Started by coryaycock, August 15, 2014, 01:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coryaycock

So, I have 2.0.3 and Nightly on my 7d.  When I go to the menu under "Movie" in Magic Lantern it says "Bit Rate", "REC key", "FPS override", "Vignetting" and "Movie Tweaks" but that's it....there's no option for RAW video. 

Do I need to add something else?  Let me if this sounds like a familiar problem or if you need more info to pin down the problem.  I assumed I just simply needed to update to 2.0.3 and then add Nightly and that was it.

Please let me know.  Thanks!

Kim

Have you loaded the modules? In the menu, put them on and re-boot.

coryaycock

Ok, that's what I needed to do.  Thank you!

One other thing, when I press "info", it says the "Help files not found."  Is there something simple I'm not doing here too? 

Walter Schulz

coryaycock

Ok, this is going to sound really silly, but I can't get my 7d to simply record in Magic Lantern.  I thought the info buttons might help me. 
I hit Start and get to the screen where picture is up, but I can't get it to just record for me....and can't get the menu-item text cleared from the frame...it remains there.

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

Use trashcan button to access and close ML's menu.

coryaycock

I have it in raw mode and 24fps set in the ML menu, but it is still just creating .mov files instead of raw. 
I've been trying to get my recording screen in ML mode like the tutorials I've watched, but no luck yet. 
Now it's stopping after skipping frames.  I guess I just have to keep playing with it and continue reading up. 

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

You need RAW_REC.MO *or* MLV_REC.MO loaded. If they are loaded you have to access Movie tab and enable RAW. Never heard of H.264 MOV recording skipping frames. Transfer rate is well below 8 MByte/s and even a rather slow card should be able to handle this. Frame skipping indicates you're actually recording RAW/MLV. Look for big files in DCIM folder.

Press INFO button to see ML's overlays. Global Draw must be enabled. But Global Draw will reduce bandwidth for recording ...

coryaycock

raw_rec.mo and mlv_rec.mo are both loaded and I've enabled mlv in the "Movie" part of menu (1728x972).  I have it on 23.96 FPS override.

Every time I press INFO it says "Help files not found".

My card is 16GB, 30mb/s Sandisk.  I just recorded and opened the DCIM folder on the card and all the files are Unix Executable Files.  The .mov file must have been from another recording earlier (my mistake).

It will record for about 9 seconds then say "Frame Skipped. Stopping."  Global Draw is "ON, all modes". 

Walter Schulz

Quote from: coryaycock on August 15, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
raw_rec.mo and mlv_rec.mo are both loaded

Or!
Or = Not both
Or = Exclusive
Or = Or it will not work

Walter Schulz

Quote from: coryaycock on August 15, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Every time I press INFO it says "Help files not found".

Use INFO in liveview to see overlays. Press button several times.

30 MByte/s is much too slow for 720p24 in RAW/MLV.

coryaycock

Ok, to clarify, I didn't have them both green, just loaded in the modules...but I changed it and only have the (MLV) in the Movie menu now.  And I was able to get it to the correct live view by pressing info.  I could have swore yesterday every time I pushed it would just say "Help files not found".  Thanks!

It is still showing "Skipped Frames. Stopping."  I guess this is because of the card, correct?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: coryaycock on August 15, 2014, 06:38:58 PM
Ok, to clarify, I didn't have them both green, just loaded in the modules...

This doesn't clarify anything... If both modules are loaded RAW/MLV recording will break after a few frames.

Quote from: coryaycock on August 15, 2014, 06:38:58 PMIt is still showing "Skipped Frames. Stopping."  I guess this is because of the card, correct?

If you need continuous recording you need a faster card to handle the given resolution or you have to choose a lower resolution meeting the card's speed.

ayshih

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 15, 2014, 07:00:52 PM
This doesn't clarify anything... If both modules are loaded RAW/MLV recording will break after a few frames.
What he's trying to say is that he has the two modules loaded in the Module tab, but he hasn't enabled both types of raw recording in the Movie tab (so no green dots in that tab).  It hasn't caused me any problems to have both modules loaded, as long as you don't actually enable both types of recording at the same time.

It's definitely safer to not load both modules to avoid accidentally enabling both types of recording.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

coryaycock

Yes, to ayshih.

Sounds like I need a faster card.