[WONTFIX] Photographic HDR settings?

Started by russellsnr, September 16, 2014, 12:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsnr

Hi, I use the HDR option for photography rather than video.
At this time there are the three options for brackets.
All start at zero first so would/is it possible to add a sequence so it will allow 0 --- +++ or 0 +++ ---
PLEASE do not ask me to write a script or even attempt to change one I would not no where to start!!! :'(
Many Thanks
Russ

garry23

I understand your question.

These days I simply use ETTR, to cover the highlights, followed by auto bracketing to ensure I get the shadows nailed.

Audionut

What's the matter with 0 - + -- ++ ?

Or setting your initial exposure settings to either the brightest or darkest, and then using 0 ---  or  0 +++ ?

russellsnr

Hi, To be picky (for want of a better word) if you shoot for example 40 or 50 bracketed sets in one session then you have all those sets as  0 - + - - + +

with the first it means that you have to sort through and re-arrange the images to 0--++ and if you have a 7 or 9 bracketed sets thats a lot to sort.
with the other options of 0--- or 0+++ you get the first image 0 at the base exposure then up or down in exposures the only way I can see of getting again example --0++++ is to under expose the base image to start.
If you look at the Canon AEB you -0+
As I said in the OP it is only a request of possibility for the order to be added so you can shoot 0---+++ or 0+++---
If not possible OK will just keep going as is, under expose the first one or two images in the 0+++ option.
Thank you for your reply
Russ

Audionut

I don't understand the reference to underexposing anything.

Either set the first image to the darkest exposure required for the bracketed set, or the brightest exposure needed, then set the relevant 0+++ or 0---.

russellsnr

Hi, Again thank you the reply.
I have two reasons for wanting to be able to have the option above.
(1) That probably only applies to very few users. I use an hand held exposure meter for my base image and being able to take a reading, shoot quickly is the way I work sometimes.
(2) if you shoot off a tripod, for example walking round a city sometimes the quick shot is required and just pointing and shooting without having to worry about the + and - images would be helpful.
Again as I said above only wanted to no if would be possible to put in the firmware.
Thanks
Russ

Audionut

I wouldn't exactly associate tripod and quick in the same sentance.  In either case, try using autoETTR.
This will be quicker then your hand held meter, will set optimal exposure for the highlights, then you don't have to fudge with bracketing settings as you will always be taking darker exposures from the autoETTR exposure.

garry23

@russelsnr

Like you I often use an external meter to help baseline my exposure before a bracketing capture.

However, as I hinted above,  I have now stopped doing this as I find an auto-ETTR followed by an auto bracketing gets me the RAW data I need for post processing.

Bottom line: give the auto-ETTR + auto- bracketing workflow a try.

russellsnr

Thanks Garry will try this option see how it goes.
Russ