Removing internal processing ​of RAW format - vegetation monitoring in IR

Started by gilad weil, August 06, 2014, 07:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilad weil

Hi ???

As part of a vegetation monitoring program in nature reserves, I examine changes by using a time series of photos. I use a modified 600D, in which the internal IR filter has been removed (http://www.maxmax.com/ircameraconversions.htm). I use a series of external filets in order to sample in different wavelength. I use fixed WB, shutter speed and RAW format only.

I dont need a "good looking" picture - I need the original data with minimal intervention of the camera.

But my question has to do with the image processing – since the results I get aren't good enough:

1.I am interested in the raw values ​​of the radiation – Is there any additional processing in RAW format, such as balancing blue green and red (the sensor was double green detectors, any effect?), or adjustment in the case of saturation of the sensor? if so, can Magic Lantern welp me?
2.Where can I find quantitative data (not picture) about the behavior of the sensor along the spectrum?

Thanks!

Gilad Weil

Remote Sensing,

Nature and Park Authority

a1ex

Quote from: gilad weil on August 06, 2014, 07:18:06 AM
Is there any additional processing in RAW format?

Yes, but the exact processing is mostly unknown. I've identified digital ISO gain, FPN correction, bad pixel correcton, pixel binning in LiveView, and I also smell some linearization. There is no white balance burned in the RAW file, as far as I could tell.

You may find some clues here: www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111

gilad weil

Thanks!

If so, is they any current recommended ML tool that may help me? Linear correction is critical in my case.
What about the original behavior of the sensor along the spectrum, any good reference?

Gilad

a1ex

That's beyond my current knowledge, but feel free to reverse engineer it and post your results. Everything you need is in that thread and in the sticky topics around here.

gilad weil

Thanks.
Last technical question - how das the fact that the sensor was twice as much green detectors affect the RAW?
If I take the RGB bands apart, is the ratio of the DN values really 1:2:1?

a1ex

I'm afraid you need to understand some basics like white balance.

When you'll be a bit more confortable with processing RAW files, check this: http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~rcsumner/rawguide/RAWguide.pdf