Noob Installation Questions

Started by TheMoviegoer, April 16, 2016, 08:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMoviegoer

I am very new to Magic Lantern, and as such I have two really basic questions:

1. The installation instructions on the magic lantern latest build are a bit confusing to me.  Step 3 says to "Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update."  I am running a mac, and the nightly build download unzips and creates a folder with the following content:
autoexec.bin
ML [folder]
ML-SETUP.FIR

Am I supposed to copy all three items onto my CF card?  Just the folder?  Just the .FIR file. 

I know this may seem like a really stupid question, but the Canon update to 2.0.3 only required a .FIR file.  Also the comprehensive instructions on the ML site are not clear either.  The second bullet under "Step 2" says "Unzip all of the files from the Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card." It is hard to tell whether this is done on computer or in the camera.  Before lashing out, remember, I am a rookie at installing things onto my camera.

2.  Is there any advantage to selecting an earlier build?  I don't think I'm the type to continually download and update firmware.  So is there a fairly stable early build that I could experiment around with, or do you really recommend starting with the latest nightly build?

Thanks in advance for your patience with me.  If this works out, I am sure I'll catch on.

The Moviegoer

extremelypoorfilmaker

Ok what part of: "Copy ML files on the card" is not clear? It does not says just COPY the .FIR or just copy this or this. :D If you do not copy ALL the files, magic lantern WON'T run.

So, copy EVERYTHING inside that zip file. :)

The ROOT of the card it means the first window that opens up once you click the card icon on your MAC desktop

No, there is little to no advantages to select an older build. The newest builds usually have bug fixes and new feature implemented.

also, MAKE EXTRA SURE that you have the correct Canon firmware running on your Cam. :)

Hope this helped