Time stamping on movies

Started by jimsimons, July 15, 2014, 07:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimsimons

Admittedly, I've only started figuring out what Magic Lantern can do for me.  The audio level displays and "take a picture when the scene changes" are great.

What about adding timestamps to movies frames?  Ideally this would be down to hundredths of a second.  This would be extremely useful when filming sports.

dmilligan

You already have a timestamp for the movie start (the file timestamp, there may also be some metatdata in the mov container, IDK), and you also know the fps => it's possible to simply calculate the time for each frame. This would be really easy to compute with an ActionScript in AE (if you're using AE).

Quote from: jimsimons on July 15, 2014, 07:00:28 AM
Ideally this would be down to hundredths of a second.
The timing of frames *relative* to each other would be accurate to hundredths of a second (again b/c you know the fps to more than hundredths of a second accuracy), but the file timestamp won't be. But it couldn't be anyway, the clock on the camera is not accurate to hundredths of a second (and even if it was, there's no way to set it or synchronize it in a manner that is accurate to hundredths of a second => you can only set the clock manually with buttons).

However, if you had a GPS enabled camera, it *might* be possible to timestamp frames with an accuracy of microseconds or perhaps nanoseconds (perhaps a higher accuracy than even the fps timers). I'd love to hear a compelling use case for that though.