Made in China: Short Documentary

Started by Richard John Seymour, July 06, 2014, 04:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard John Seymour

Hi there, I just wanted to share with the Magic Lantern community a trailer to a short documentary that I've been working on, a cinematic exploration of the manufacturing industries in China. The phenomenal work of the Magic Lantern team has really elevated the quality of this project to a huge degree.

I'm shooting on a 5d Mark III
2x Komputerbay 128gb 1050x
2x Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

This is a continuing project, If you'd like to see what I hope to be the one of the first documentaries shot fully with Magic Lantern, and a beautiful story about ho our stuff gets to us, I have a Kickstarter that is currently raising funding for the second phase of the project next month. So be sure to get your name in the credits!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1487414135/made-in-china

Richard John Seymour

No feedback on the footage? Is it that bad?   :-\ ;)

elfrabo

Beautiful shots.

It is not finished I think, I do miss the story...

jrcreative

I really liked the shots. not sure of the story though. it's more of a teaser.

jimmyD30

Footage looks great! Love the shot selection :)

For the moving shots in the factory, did you use a steadicam?

Richard John Seymour

Hi! Yes the trailer is just a teaser for the kickstarter campaign I'm doing so there is not really any story yet, it's just to give an atmosphere.

For the factory shots, and a couple of others, I used an x-cam sabre with a bit of stabilisation in post, (and lots of practice!) would definitely recommend it for travelling as it's very small and easily fits in a camera bag.

Scott Free

This is beautiful work, great use of composition and natural light, I love the tension created from the camera movement/compostions and sound... I very much look forward to seeing the end result.

elfrabo

Quote from: Richard John Seymour on July 10, 2014, 01:25:08 PM
Hi! Yes the trailer is just a teaser for the kickstarter campaign I'm doing so there is not really any story yet, it's just to give an atmosphere.

For the factory shots, and a couple of others, I used an x-cam sabre with a bit of stabilisation in post, (and lots of practice!) would definitely recommend it for travelling as it's very small and easily fits in a camera bag.

Thanks for your tip on the x-cam sabre. I will have a look into that model.

jimmyD30

@Richard

Just curious, did you use ML raw or cropped native h.264?

Richard John Seymour

Hi Jimmy, I used RAW, For the purpose of this trailer I simply exported the files from Davinci as Pro-Res LT to work on as it gave me a quick turnaround with satisfactory results, but for the finished product I will definitely be getting the best out of RAW.

I still have to get a workflow that I'm totally comfortable with though to be honest.

jimmyD30

Well the shots are fantastic, with some more time in post I'm sure they'll look amazing :D

Richard John Seymour

One week left to go now and 50% pledged, so close now, if you'd like to see the rest of this film and hear more about how I made the film, please consider supporting a penniless student with an idea ;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1487414135/made-in-china

BradleyStearn

This is looking beautiful so far, I really can't wait to see the finished documentary. Loved the glidecam shots, specially the one from the side of the boat.
What lenses did you use with the 5D?

Richard John Seymour

89% funded with 40 hours to go, final push now, please consider checking it out and getting your name in the credits!

Hi Bradley, many thanks for the pledge! :D I have three lenses that I used for this, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, and the 70-300mm which I ended up using more than I would have expected, the huge scale of these places just loves the reach the 300mm gives.