Terrible aliasing in 5DMkII RAW

Started by JacopoScano, July 05, 2014, 09:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacopoScano

Dear members,
I'm new to the forum but I've been working with ML's help for a couple of years so far.
I don't think a topic as dramatic as this was brought up already, so I'll start it:

I have just installed the latest ML nightly build on my 5D MarkII, having recently purchased a brand new Lexar 1000x 64GB CF, intending to shoot my next works in RAW.
Now I've ran several tests on it and I've encountered a couple of issues. And I mean big issues, like RAW looks definitely worse than H264.

1. Everyone on the web testing RAW claims to shoot 1880 as the maximum possible frame width of the 5D, whereas in my own camera I simply can't choose that resolution 'cause I only have 1856 and 1920... nothing in between;
2. Ok the Mark II has more aliasing than the Mark III, but I never thought this much! From my balcony, every single brick wall, tile roof, tree, tarmac (oh my god the tarmac) is horribly affected by the strongest aliasing/moire I've ever experienced (compared to that, H264 is totally aliasing-free);
3. I'm not sure I'm converting the files right: I'm using Rawanizer, which seems to work quite good, but the output files are so tiny (like a 5MB mp4 from a 400MB raw file) I suppose they lose a lot of detail. If converted in ProRes 444, the size is acceptable (half of original) but the frame is squeezed to 16:9, whatever aspect ratio I shoot in.

I'm literally going crazy about this... I'm about to shoot a short film and I hoped I could use raw but this "quality" would definitely kill it!
Can anyone more used to ML Raw help me understand how to correctly set the camera and which softwares I should use to convert the raw files?
I'm sure it's a problem of settings... no test (that I've seen) on Vimeo or YouTube features that much annoying aliasing or moire and my MkII worked perfectly so far so I don't even think it's a machine problem.

Thanks everyone in advance!
JS

ted ramasola

aliasing in canon dslrs is a well documented issue. Use mosaic engineering's VAF if you want to minimize aliasing significantly.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dmilligan

JacopoScano

Actually I started the topic to understand how to get a STANDARD raw quality because mine is obviously worse than normal... since I've just spent 300$ for the CF, and I don't earn that much to be able to spend 400$ more rightaway for the VAF filter...

I've also tried shooting in crop mode, but the preview is crazy framy (I can't handle an actor movement if the preview is 2 seconds late) and the result is just unwatchable: like frameskipping every second and other glitchy stuff  :-[

Satis

That's just the way to go man, unless you are shooting crop you have to be really conscious of any possible aliasing and moire that could show up in your footage when you are working with Canon DSLRs.
Have you tried the video function of the 5d2..? It records the same aliased image, only with significantly less detail.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

2blackbar

First of all, post the pics, raw and 264, the same scene.Its weird to ask questions like this without showing examples.