ExFat formatted not recognised in 5d mrk ii

Started by timothyspatz, July 04, 2014, 02:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timothyspatz

Hi guys,

I just recently got two 128gb 1000x komputer bay memory cards to shoot some RAW video on my 5d mrk ii. I've read up it is best for format the cards as ExFat, otherwise over 4GB RAW files won't work.

After formatting the cards as ExFat using Disk Utility on Mac, once putting them back into my mrk ii it come sup with card format not recognised with this camera.

Any ideas what to do? I'd love to start being able to shoot files bigger than 4gb!

Thanks.

jimmyD30

exFAT format is not recognized by 5DM2 (yes for 5DM3 and others), so format FAT32.

When recording RAW video ML will continuously create multiple 4GB size files throughout the shot (without even dropping a frame) and post processing routines will combine them back together (as one large raw file or all DNGs in one folder) per shot.

timothyspatz

Thanks for your reply jimmyD30.

I see, what is the best routine in post for this? I was before just using raw2dng for converting. This time a file was 4.25gb but raw2dng did not recognise it, must have been corrupt because it was over 4gb and not a exfat formatted card?

jimmyD30

Which OS and ML version are you using? Different post tools for different OSs and different code for different builds.

Also, the FAT32 file size limit is really like 4.29GB (EDIT: on some file systems/hard drives), we say 4GB for convenience and the card format shouldn't make a difference to raw2dng only the camera, so I'm not sure why that file is giving you trouble, maybe the camera shutdown inadvertently while recording that file or the card ran out of space and the last frame is corrupted and that's why the file is only 4.25GB (if that shot is really important and not  just a test shot, I'm pretty sure you can append a file trailer and recovery the footage), but more recent builds account for such by creating a temporary 'buffer' file.

So, more info required before more help can be rendered :)

timothyspatz

Hi again,

Thanks for taking the time to help me on this one.

OS 10.9.5 & The newest ML I believe, version 2? I had before been using the workflow of raw2dng, into Camera Raw(PS) then imagine sequence in quicktime 7.

This file is not too important, it was more a test of my new Kompterbay 128gb card, this was the only file on it so it was not because it ran out of memory. If this did happen with an important file is the process difficult? I got a big shoot on Monday, which I was preparing all of this for!

timothyspatz

Hi again, again!

I've been merging my files over 4GB which works ok. I just wish there was way to recored over 4gb on the 5d mrk ii. Maybe I've got a dodge komputerbay card?

jimmyD30

Can't create files over 4.29GB in size on 5DM2 because it only reads FAT32 format not exFAT and the file size limit on FAT32 is 4.29GB, there's no way around it.

MLVMystic (and some others apps) do not require merging files, just drag n drop the first .mlv file onto the app and it will do the rest (find and process the related raw files), if I remember correctly.

Although many KB cards are 'dodgy', that's not the problem in this case :-)

ItsMeLenny

Fat32, max file size = 2 to the 32 bit.

2^32 = 4294967296
4294967296/1024 = 4194304 kilobytes
4194304/1024 = 4096 megabytes
4096/1024 = 4 gigabytes

or did I do that wrong because it's only divided by 1000 when it's bytes and not bits?

4294967296 /1000 /1000 /1000 = 4.294967296 gigabytes

timothyspatz

I understand, thanks for your time & responses on this one! I'm exited to really get going with this software now.

jimmyD30

@ItsMeLenny

You're correct, 4GB is 2^32 (4,294,967,296 bytes) divided by 1024^3. The OP had asked why the files on his hard drive were larger than 4GB if FAT32 had a 4GB file size limit (on his OS the file size shows as 4.25GB, this is because some hard drives only divide by 1000^3 giving you 4.29GB), and he was asking if this was the root cause of his issues. So to keep things simple I was using the 4.29GB number rather than explaining all of this to let him know that his 4.25GB file wasn't the issue (don't know if he meant 4.29GB or he just stopped recording before reaching the limit).

Max FAT32 file size = 2^32 - 1 = 4GB which may show up on some file systems as 4.29GB

See here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18199465/how-can-fat32-store-files-slightly-greater-than-4gb-when-the-limit-is-4gb