Problem with 6D AF

Started by fireball, June 19, 2014, 10:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireball

Hi there,

I'm encountering a Problem with my 6D.

I had a recent ML nightly build on the SD (ML was not activated and has never been installed on that camera, so I don't know if it can be a ML problem at all, but who knows). I made some settings to my AF functions (back button focus, GPS, WiFi) and then formatted the card since I wanted to use the camera "clean" at first.

Unfortunately, my AF is not working anymore (other lenses tested), SHutter is only releasing when MF mode is set on Lens. I tried to reset the camera functions to defaults (C.Fn and all normal settings) - not working in normal mode, in Live view mode no Problem and as intended.

Any Ideas?

Best regards
Marcus

chris_overseas

[edit: sorry, hadn't read your email carefully enough, changing my suggestions]

Check the contacts on the camera body are clean.

What do you mean by "not working" - does the camera hunt for focus at all? Is there any noise coming from the lens's AF system while attempting to focus?
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

fireball

Nope. All my lenses -> same Problem.

Lens ist not hunting for focus, stabilizer gets turned on.

chris_overseas

When you say you reset the camera to defaults, I take it you mean you used the "Clear all camera settings" and "Clear all custom functions" options from the Canon menu?

One thing worth trying is to see if the AF works in either of the C1, C2 modes on the top dial. If so then the problem is likely to be the camera's settings rather than hardware. You could also try re-enabling back button focus to see if that has any effect, in the (unlikely) event there's a problem with the half-shutter.

If the body's lens contacts are clean, the reset doesn't work, and C1 and C2 don't either, then it sounds like (to me at least) you might need to take the camera in for servicing because there's a hardware problem :( I don't see how that can be related to ML however I'd suggest disabling the bootflag before taking it in.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

fireball

Yes, I reset camera settings and custom functions and also used the "reset to defaults" option for all the buttons in the corresponding C.Fn. menu.

C1 and C2 modes -> same problem.

The last thing I did was formatting my SD Card (Transcend Wi-Fi).

Interesting thing: when setting half shutter to AEB and enabling back button AF, the shutter releases when releasing(!) AF on button. But AF is still not working at all.

chris_overseas

The "interesting thing" is normal - when you use back button AF the camera will try to lock focus while the back AF button is held down and will refuse to take photos unless focus is achieved. When you release the back AF button the camera then acts like it's in manual focus and will happily take photos without caring what the focus is on (that's one of the most useful features of back button AF). Your problem is the AF drive isn't working so focus isn't achieved, hence the behaviour you see with the camera refusing to take photos while in AF with the back button pressed.

One test to help confirm this: With back button AF and the lens switch set to AF, try holding down the back button AF and taking a shot. It should refuse (unless the scene happens to be in focus). Now switch the lens to MF. If you hold down the back button AF and try taking a shot, the shutter should now fire.

If the above is true then I'm afraid I don't know what else it can be other than a hardware problem.

fireball

Hi,

sorry, I've been away for the weekend. I just tried out your suggestion but shutter doesn't release as well.

I'll contact my dealer on Monday.

l_d_allan

Quote from: fireball on June 22, 2014, 04:16:30 PM
sorry, I've been away for the weekend. I just tried out your suggestion but shutter doesn't release as well.

I'll contact my dealer on Monday.

How old is the camera? How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty?

What happened, if anything, between when AF was working, and when it stopped working?

What happens when you put in an SD card without ML? What happens if you press the SET button while ML is booting (to disable ML)?

You might try posting your question to the DPReview forum for 1-series Canon cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1032