[WONTFIX/ALREADY DONE] MLU during Timelapse

Started by spaic, June 20, 2014, 02:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaic

Hi, is it possible to add an option to the timelapse about MLU?

1. MLU during the whole timelapse (I have not found a way to do that from any combination of menus. if there is, please correct me).
2. MLU before each shot (it does MLU before ach shot if you set MLU to always).
3. no MLU (just as an option, just in case anyone uses handheld MLU for normal shooting and wants it disabled in timelapse).

I would be most interested in the first option. It works like this for a liveview timelapse, but in this case the battery would probably run out very quickly (wouldn't last for a whole-day timelapse), and also the sensor would be lit always.

I'm using a 6D.

ansius

Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

spaic

liveview does, but keeps display on -> battery drain. I should make a test to see how long the battery would last in this case (maybe with LV powersave...), and also with the grip on (two "extra size" third party batteries).

(edit) It does keep the mirror up, but turns on display for each shot (and some time in between shots?)...

dmilligan

why is it so important to keep the mirror up? you can always use a piece of tape

spaic

The mirror to avoid camera shake (although 1s MLU for each shot should be ok).
The display off for battery saving (although not in LV and without image review it should not light up).

The reason for asking this is because it seems easy to add to the timelapse menu (at least disabling image review?), and it makes life a little easier (for normal shooting I use image review, but for timelapse it's not useful at all, maybe even it could be a problem fot night timelapses).

dmilligan

If you get noticeable camera shake then you need a better tripod. Are you timelapsing with a 300mm+ lens or something? Have you actually compared shots with and without MLU?

Adding more complexity and clutter to the menu is probably not a good idea. Just use config presets.

garry23

Or take a hit on pixels and try silent DNG, ie LV ...... ;-o)

spaic

guess i'll stick to classic MLU and normal viewfinder. :) maybe I should also rename the topic to won't fix.

Audionut

I can't recall any discussion about the mirror mechanism failing.  So I don't see the mirror remaining up over multiple images (which I think is what this FR is), as being useful.

spaic

I was more thinking more about the oscilation (however slight) of the camera after the mirror rising. in any case, it should dampen (i guess) with normal MLU enabled (i should study and see what MLU timer is used). I noticed that MLU works with timelapse only if set to "always". I will try to see when MLU works and when not (I had at some point the impression that handheld MLU somtimes doesn't work, but I did not have patience to back-check the exposure time, which should actually be the reason).

Audionut

Yes, handheld only works with specified exposure times, I don't recall what they are.

About the oscillation, I assume you mean mechanical.  To me, MLU means, delay after mirror actuation, which should cater for any oscillation.

spaic

exactly what I was thinking about. to have MLU in order for the small (but with a long focal length, at night, and with not such a good tripod still perceptible) mechanical oscillations of the camera on the tripos to settle a bit. I'm still waiting for a good moon to try again.

800mm (400mm m42 and 2x teleconverter, also m42), equivalent of f22 aperture (or maybe f16). for a "moony f11" i would require (with a time of 1/1000) iso around 3200, or with iso100 a time of 1/30 and a sturdier tripod...

(edit:) in timelapse MLU only works when "always on" and applys the MLU timer from normal MLU. handheld MLU is ignored (dis aquick test with exposure of 1/10, wich for me is ok, as i can set bigger MLU timers.

Audionut

To be honest, I think I only played with handheld MLU once or twice, otherwise I just use MLU from the Canon menu.

So with Canon MLU, I simply set the self timer to the required value.  So for instance with the intervalometer in ML, turn on MLU in Canon menu, set the shooting mode to self timer, enable the intervalometer in ML.  Intervalometer counts down, MLU activates, timer counts down, shutter actuates.  No vibrations, life is good.  Intervalometer must be set with allowance for the self timer.

With a recent nightly build on 5D3.123, I'm seeing this with ML.  With MLU mode set to self timer mode, the camera must be in self timer shooting mode.  Normal MLU Delay has no effect.  So this works like an automated MLU control.  Enable MLU in self timer shooting mode, disable otherwise.  That's useful!

With MLU mode set to always on, and Canon shooting mode at some other setting then self timer, it works exactly like Canon functionality above, however, the delay is controlled by Normal MLU Delay.  This is useful too!  :o

With MLU mode set to always on, and Canon shooting mode set to self timer, Normal MLU Delay has no effect.

Handheld MLU is no longer available.  I recall there was some discussion regarding handheld MLU, but I don't recall the specifics.