Metadata changes in Lightroom are not reflected in Premiere Pro CC

Started by Keyo, August 25, 2014, 02:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyo

Hello everyone. I am having trouble with my current workflow. I am shooting RAW with a Canon 7d using Magic Lantern. I use raw2cdng to transform the mlv(raw) files to cdng. I then use lightroom to color correct my DNG files. I use lightroom to save the new metadata info to my files. Those changes that I make are reflected in file explorer, but when I import the files to Premiere Pro using the MediaBrowser the color corrections that I made in lightroom are not being shown. What am I doing wrong? Why is Premiere Pro not reading my metadata info correctly? I appreciate all of your help.4

You can see the pictures here.
https://forums.adobe.com/message/6668656

Danne

Premiere has a different importer from acr which is used in lightroom.. You csn export lightroom changes in adobe after effects to ProRes for example and import theses clips to premiere.

Keyo

Ok. I was wondering why so many ML workflows passed through after effects. So I want to take the DNGs from lightroom, import them into after effects, then export them as prores to use with Premiere Pro? I have never used After Effects, I have it with my Creative Cloud Subscription but never found the need. So I am not to familiar with the program. Thank you very much for the help, I was just now playing with it hoping I could find a solution.

Could you please point me into the direction on what exactly I need to search in order to learn what to do for this workflow? I am searching for the ProRes codec option when exporting in After Effects but I am not finding it.

dmilligan

Actually you really shouldn't use AE/ACR at all. It is incredibly slow, causes flicker and was not intended for video. I've started using speed grade. There's a steep learning curve, but it really has the tools you need to do video raw properly. On my 2012 MacBook Air I can preview in (almost) realtime. With AE/ACR I get less than 1fps at 1/4 resolution! The same is true of render times.

My current workflow is: MLRawViewer => SG <> PP

The other option is Resolve which might be a little more mature and user friendly than SG, but I get SG with my CC subscription and I like how well it integrates with PP

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

dmilligan

Danne

Quick one. How good is highlight recovery in speedgrade compared to both davinci and adobe camera raw? Never tried speedgrade.

Keyo

Quote from: dmilligan on August 25, 2014, 03:45:55 PM
Actually you really shouldn't use AE/ACR at all. It is incredibly slow, causes flicker and was not intended for video. I've started using speed grade. There's a steep learning curve, but it really has the tools you need to do video raw properly. On my 2012 MacBook Air I can preview in (almost) realtime. With AE/ACR I get less than 1fps at 1/4 resolution! The same is true of render times.

My current workflow is: MLRawViewer => SG <> PP

The other option is Resolve which might be a little more mature and user friendly than SG, but I get SG with my CC subscription and I like how well it integrates with PP

I will definitily be checking out SpeedGrade. I've messed around with it about a year ago, but that was with only 8gb of ram, 1 5400rpm HD, and a "Trial"  ;) version of the software that didn't play along so well. Im now up to 16gb of ram, a couple of SSDs, a subscription to the software, and RAW footage to grade! I've become very familiar with Lightroom using it to edit my raw stills, I was hoping that i could use it to edit my raw footage, but its looking that I will have to let that go to be more efficient in my workflow.

Does MLRawViewer convert MLV files to RAW? If so, how does it compare to Raw2CDNG?

Keyo

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 25, 2014, 04:34:14 PM
What is the best resource to learn SG!

Linda makes a cool tutorial. You can find a lot of their videos on youtube and around the web. They have a five hour tutorial called "Up and Running with SpeedGrade CC" http://www.lynda.com/SpeedGrade-tutorials/Up-Running-SpeedGrade-CC/137897-2.html

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)