Parkour Hamburg - 14 Bit Magic Lantern RAW HDR Video

Started by Basilius, June 09, 2014, 03:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basilius

Original this video shouldn't become a "Parkour Video" rather it should promotes the benifits and joy of training with a focus on movement and movement skills as apposed to a more mainstream approach to fitness training.

I shot this video with the 5D Mark II in RAW Video. This time I used Davinci Resolve Lite for Color Grading (in my earlier project I used Lightroom: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10276.msg101283#msg101283). Davinci is more capable to fulfilling the need of a "dynamic" color grading when dealing with motion pictures than Lightroom, nonetheless the image quality seems to be better with Lightroom (What's your opinion/expierence?).
I also used the Glidecam HD 2000, the Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 (which isn't perfect for video due to the convex last lens) and the Canon 50mm 1.4.

Here is the video:

Canon eos m

Awesome work!

How did you get the cinematic look in the video?

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Basilius

Quote from: Canon eos m on June 09, 2014, 05:47:04 PM
Awesome work!

How did you get the cinematic look in the video?

Thanks, I'm glad you like the color grading.

First I maximized the contrast of the image by defining the darkest part as pure black (luminance of all colors RBG = 0) and the brightest part as pure white (luminance RGB = 1023) by pulling up the lift and pulling down the Gain and adjustments at the color wheels. Then I pulled up the Gamma (because I exposed to the right so I don't lose details in the sky) to brighten it up and added some saturation. Now I selected the sky with the qualifier, darken it and add some yellow in the Gain and some purple in the Gamma. For the outside node (everything which is not sky) I added an S-curve for even more contrast. At the final step I added some vignette and some sharpness (+brightness) in the center. I hope it helps.  :)

dude

Basilius

nikki

Basilius

Quote from: nikki on June 10, 2014, 04:05:44 PM
did you use a vaf filter?

Hey nikki,
No, I didn't use a VAF filter. I don't know why, but I never had serious problems with moiré and aliasing. I guess the problem is just a bit overrated.
take care
Basilius

ptc5010

Quote from: Basilius on June 10, 2014, 05:09:15 PM
Hey nikki,
No, I didn't use a VAF filter. I don't know why, but I never had serious problems with moiré and aliasing. I guess the problem is just a bit overrated.
take care
Basilius

No offense but I saw a couple shots that could have been helped with a VAF filter. These issues were minor of course, especially since I love the color you've achieved.

Basilius

Quote from: ptc5010 on June 10, 2014, 08:38:49 PM
No offense but I saw a couple shots that could have been helped with a VAF filter. These issues were minor of course, especially since I love the color you've achieved.

Ok, I watched it again, just looking for moire and aliasing, and you are absolutely right!   :o

Thanks!  :)

nikki

jonbobshinigin

Stellar video man! You really got the Glidecam rocking...I need to work on that myself.