5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3 Live View Issue

Started by goran, June 03, 2014, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goran

Hello,

Just installed ML after being long time on the fence. Great work! I finally get quality I want for my videos.
2 issues I noticed:

1. When I press the SET button to zoom x5 and than x10 to check focus, at x5 zoom the image is pixelated, blurry and black and white. At x10 zoom it looks ok just as always and I can check the focus. The problem is, sometimes it's easier to find focus at x5 zoom instead of x10 zoom so it would be nice for it to work properly or am I missing something?

2. The Live View image of the video doesn't fill the entire LCD on the camera back but instead it covers about 80% of the screen. I'm attaching an image to show what I mean. Once again, am I missing something is this a feature, a bug or a changeable setting?

I'm using the latest nightly 1.2.3 firmware build fro 5dmkiii.

Thank you,
Goran

jimmyD30

I don't know the exact technical reasons why it does that in 5x mode, but it has to to do with the fact that when setting 5x mode in LV, what you are really doing is setting up for video recording in 3x digital crop mode and you will notice it's like that for the entire viewing/recording time when in '5x' mode. 10x is normal as it should be, just the image in the LV digitally magnified 10 times.

dmilligan

1. When you zoom in 5x the camera enters a different video mode ("crop mode") if you go back in the menu you'll notice more resolution options available. The image looks like it does b/c ML is doing the best it can at giving you a preview of what it is that you're recording if you were to start recording in "crop mode". You can turn this off in the menu if you just want to use 5x for focus before recording (but you might want to try magic zoom instead) and not actually record in crop mode.

Some more info here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0 or just search the forum.

2. The image doesn't fill the screen b/c you have selected a smaller resolution than the max res of the current video mode. Smaller resolutions can only be achieved by cropping. The black bars show you what is going to be cropped out. Try changing the resolution, you'll see what's going on.

I would advise you to do some more reading there are a lot of quirks with raw recording like this that you need to be aware of, and there is a lot of good information on this forum, you just have to willing to sit down and read it. Start with all the stickies in the raw video section.

goran

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. For what it's worth, in case somebody else encounters this and looks for how to restore the default behavior, you can change it under crop mode to Canon, and than the x5 and x10 zooms behave as they originally do.

Thank you.

Goran

TheYan

I get the same behaviour when connected via HDMI to external, it cuts of the sides and not showing the correct image as it does in LV.