Time Lapse - AutoRamping questions

Started by Sykane, June 02, 2014, 01:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykane

Hey Guys...

i played a little with the Time Lapse Functionality of ML.

I tried to do a Night > Sunrise TimeLapse with the AutoRamping feature.
I have a few questions regarding Auto Ramping:

Before ML starts shooting AutoRamping asks for an exposure wich ML uses as an reference for the exposure's, but when i start at a fully dark night wich turns to a full bright day wich exposure should i give ML for the best results?

Also i was asking myself: When i start at night with a 3-Step bracketing i get very long exposure times, so shooting 1-frame of my TimeLapse can take up to 2 minutes (all 3 frames), the sun moves fast at the horizon so that should be a problem.. right?

Wich Settings do you guys use in such moments?

Thank you so much!

dmilligan

This feature has been dropped in favor of this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0
I highly recommend using this workflow instead.

Sykane

OK... but this is only working on low Contrast Images, am i right?
Lets say i am in a house shooting the interior of the house / the window but also want to see the Sun going up outside the house... there can't be enough information in one raw!?

dmilligan

Quote from: Sykane on June 02, 2014, 06:02:24 PM
OK... but this is only working on low Contrast Images, am i right?
nope, AutoETTR should work just fine with bracketing if indeed your scene does have a larger dynamic range than can be captured in a single frame. A good setting to use would be ETTR and then one additional +4ev exposure (I use this all the time). There are very few scenes that would fall outside of this quite large 15 stop dynamic range.

Quote from: Sykane on June 02, 2014, 06:02:24 PM
there can't be enough information in one raw!?
There is a lot of information in one raw. If you expose properly, (which is what AutoETTR does), then you are maximizing the DR captured. Most of these Canons are capable of capturing around 11 stops, with dual ISO that goes up to 13+. I can almost always capture enough DR with a single dual ISO image for an indoor/window type shot (like these).

AutoETTR can also link automatically to dual ISO, to use dual ISO only when the dynamic range requires it.