REC COMMAND via the HDMI trigger - Atomos

Started by kfprod, May 25, 2014, 03:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

Looking for this thread for a long time.

the h264 and raw recording would make a world of difference.

Or just a Rec command signal.

In the first months of ML raw I am very sure I read some thread where some guy was asking why the Rec command didn't work anymore, he said he had been using Atomos and Raw rec together for quite some time until some nighly build made that option unavailable.

once you go raw you never go back

Lars Steenhoff

Do you mean this post at the beginning of this thread?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12022.msg116549#msg116549

Here is the protocol , but the strange thing is the protocol to send the REC command over HDMI is already in the 5D, it's just not triggered for raw, only h264.
This would mean something part of the signal is stripped by using the RAW recording function right?

http://www.atomos.com/hdmi-protocol/

kfprod

Good to hear that more people are requesting this. Unfortunately I'm just a hacker and not a proper programmer so I can do some things but I haven't been able to get this to work- although I have tried all ways I could think of. If this could get some attention from the "real" programmers here that would be fantastic!

Kharak

Oh I suppose that post must be the one I meant! Not sure if he is mistaken or it did really work in the early builds of raw 1.0

When doing a one man show shooting and recording sound, I still struggle a lot to get sound and video to work together as one. It is the biggest downfall of the ml raw workflow.

Sometimes I wish I had a trained monkey to clap a slate on every shot I do.

Lars Steenhoff

If the record trigger would work, then we have a perfect workflow!   8)
Record in camera raw and record external prores.

Would be easy to sync since they have the same length. 
For a fast turn around edit with proxy files and later use the raw for grading.

There has been quite a bit of work done on the HDMI code as can be seen in the highly builds,
The thing is that Alex is very busy at the moment and has not so much time to look into it, I'm hoping that early next year when Alex has more time this HDMI trigger code will be made to work.

d16f504 | a1ex <[email protected]>
Merged in external-monitor-backport (pull request #576)
9d16556 | Alex
Fix conflict with qemu branch
6ebe96d | Alex
Undo 73a7158 (not needed)
73a7158 | Alex
Cropmarks: fix right border disappearing
caee312 | Alex
Raw backend: fine-tuned raw buffer alignment (pixel-perfect match on 5D3)
fa3d4cb | Alex
mlv_play: fix issue 1771 (borders in HDMI mode)
ab16f73 | Alex
mlv_play: fix issue 1771 (borders in HDMI mode)
8e9dbb7 | Alex
Merged external-monitor into 5D3-123
b3b4b10 | Alex
Fix merge conflict
a2a3182 | Alex
5D3-123: changes from cleanup branch
3528f67 | Alex
Merged unified into 5D3-123
6805a0e | Alex
Raw backend: fix raw2lv translation component (tested on 5D2)
1003f8a | Alex
Raw backend: fix raw2lv test
7ccc830 | Alex
vram: after updating display parameters, force a refresh of RAW backend parameters
cf3b1a6 | Alex
update_vram_params should be private
6b9f9f2 | Alex
Cropmarks: fix redraw on external monitors
1d5994c | Alex
External monitors: check the size of PROP_HDMI_CHANGE_CODE
eb1f5ad | Alex
Revert debug code
3f20640 | Alex
External monitors: fix LV buffer display address for 5D3 1.2.3 in HDMI 1080i
495f855 | Alex
External monitors: recognize hdmi_code == 20 as HDMI 1080i (for 5D3 123)

dubzeebass

Because of the extra latitude shooting raw video, wouldn't the prores proxies recorded into the Atomos be over exposed because they don't have the same latitude to overexposure as the raw footage? In addition wouldn't the ninja Blade scopes be unreliable because they were in a different color space than raw?

Kharak

Prores will struggle if you ETTR. But ofcourse they don't contain the same information. HDMI outputs a 8 bit 422 signal in to a 10 bit codec.

But the proxies are great and Mic jacked to atomos triggered by rec command, sync issues over or so I hope :)

Or else I better start training that monkey..

Lars Steenhoff

An extra h264 on the SD card next to the raw on the compact flash with a record trigger to the atomos via time code would be ultimate :)

and off course audio over hdmi, don't understand why canon did not implement this.

dubzeebass

Today I use the Blade in conjunction with MLV for the first time on a commercial. Hoping for the best!

Lars Steenhoff

Dont forget to press record on both devices :)

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dubzeebass

I ended up shooting flat on the NB and using that footage over the raw. It looks as good because I lit properly, shot with Zeiss glass in the sweet spot, and the spokeswoman was a knockout.

dubzeebass

A bit compressed by the website I posted it to, but with proper light, lenses, and focus, raw becomes secondary if you have broadcast 422 and know your way around shooting flat and postproduction.

g3gg0

didnt notice this thread.

ive reverse engineered parts of the HDMI CEC stuff that the 5D3 has implemented for fun.
are those atomos commands CEC style?
does the atomos accept commands to start recording initiatied from canon side?

as i do not want to register on this site, can one send me the atomos spec?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

okay seems the atomos doesnt use the CEC commands for that task.
maybe it still accepts CEC commands?

if there is a 5D3 v1.1.3 user with an atomos (or any other HDMI device) out there, can you test that module?

try to send source 0x3, dest 0xF, command 0x0F without payload.
if your atomos records, than ML can automatically do that on recording start.

you can browse http://www.cec-o-matic.com/ for the commands that are specified.
enter payload in this format: "00 11 AF" etc (IME modules: ime_base ime_rot) but only provide EXACT the amount of bytes that the standard tells you.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

g3gg0

a quick test with a samsung smart tv allowed me to power off the TV using that module. (command 0x36)
this means basically it is working. so i am wondering which devices also support HDMI CEC.

in theory we could use the camera as HDMI based remote control :)

Lars Steenhoff

Great progress g3gg0!

I have a ninja to test, I will have a look at it tonight.
Here's a setup how it normally works with h264

https://vimeo.com/76582803

tonybeccar

Wow! I am wondering which kind of commands are available to send via HDMI.. ! Imagine selecting which overlays are sent to the HDMI feed... that simply makes me drool all over hehe.

Awesome work!!

g3gg0

see this: http://www.cec-o-matic.com/

there you can forge the commands.

*if* there is some *serious* interest in automating things etc. i can make a plugin that allows you
to specify some commands in e.g. text file format that can be executed from menu. (or on startup or other events)

Lars Steenhoff

For me the most serious application would be having the Record command send to the Atomos ninja, when using the raw video on the 5D mark 3.

If there is anything I can do to assist in that let me know. I'm not completely sure how to proceed.

The first thing I would test if the timecode can be activated from the 5d during raw recording. 
I think the ninja can possibly get triggered to record from timecode.

kfprod

I think that as Lars says the record function is the most important. If there's any way of playing back the latest clip on the Atomos that would be amazing too (but that's probably not part of this spec)...

Sorry but I don't have the 5d camera at the moment, it's used in production. Lars do you have yours available to test this? I'll get mine back later this month.

Lars Steenhoff

Yes I have a Ninja blade and 5d mk3 to test.

I'm not a programmer however I can try to run a few commands from the camera and report back what the results are.
I would need a simple instruction how to do it

g3gg0

install that module
install IME modules: ime_base and ime_rot

open debug menu, "HDMI CEC Test"
Source 0x3,
Destination 0xF
Command 0x0F
and press "Send"

Lars Steenhoff

I have downgraded the 5d to 1.1.3 and ran the tests, no response from the atomos ninja blade.

(EDIT )The command 0x0F is not in the list or I can't find it, It seems like maybe I ran the wrong command?

I also did 0xF Record TV Screen, but with no effect ( not in the video )

Would it not be better to test it on 1.2.3?

g3gg0

thanks!
when you select the command id, you can also choose 0xF: Record TV Screen
can you try this?

if that doesnt work, the atomos doesnt support CEC :(