Komputerbay.com does not compensate for lost USPS 1st Class International parcel

Started by mothaibaphoto, May 24, 2014, 12:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothaibaphoto

Despite it's clearly declared on site that
"All goods are fully insured. We have even arranged to insure goods sent by 1st class recorded delivery using a third party insurance company."
After 3 months of wasted time i finally got answer that
"1st class insurance is limited to domestic service only - not international".
Having a long history of successful internet shopping, I for the first time spent money absolutely for nothing.
And it happens not with small asian online shop, damn it.
I'm so sorry to contribute to this wonderful project and community by sharing this negative information, but it's best i can do now.

feureau

This is invaluable information. Thanks for this.

There was also chatter about them not willing to honor returning cards not writing at full spec too, but the report is sporadic.

Levinson

Thanks for the info. I'm reading the same thing in komputerbay feedback elsewhere. I'm not sure im going to purchase anything else from them if this keeps up..

Am i right to assume you purchased directly from them and not via EBay / PayPal? PayPal should be able to assist you if you used them. PayPal have been terrific for me in my lost shipping online purchases.
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

SteveScout

At first they always seem to help quickly .. had a card that was unusable from one day to the other, their support helped a lot, sending a check tool etc., then when nothing worked I was told to send it in with an RMA number, exchange should come within one working week. That was two months ago and nothing ever happened.

Levinson

For those unfamiliar with PayPal, they will refund you themselves if you dont receive your item, or if they consider it unlikely that your product return will ever reach the seller, ala returning things to China, or if the cost of the item new is similar cost of return postage. IMHO PayPal is worth it. So far they have been excellent for me in cases like this.
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

5D3shooter

Now it's really not worth it to buy these cards.  Shoddy performance and now shoddy customer service.
NO THANKS!!

pobox

If you paid via creditcard you can always start a procedure to withdrawn the transaction. Komputerbay has then to proove to the creditcard company that it did arrive at the shipping address. If they fail to do that the transaction will be canccelled

mothaibaphoto

to Levinson and pobox:
Thank you for support and info. I purchased directly but pay by PayPal.
I'm aware of how to dispute PayPal transaction. But I was pretty sure they will solve the problem themselves. They asked me to wait for 3 months and there is just 45 days to dispute the transaction on PayPal.
Now they send me email with offer " issue you a full refund if you remove your post from the forums.". No guys, you don't shut me up this way. Let it cost me 150 USD, but I want others to be warned.

Levinson

If I was in your situation I would just go ahead and dispute it before your time runs out. You may not be refunded the shipping costs, but at least you will recover your product cost.

PayPal staff once told me to always do as above, regardless of eBay encouraging a settlement between the buyer and seller, especially if China is involved.

If the time has lapsed I believe you can still open a case with PayPal under special circumstances.

Either way, I hope you get it sorted :)
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Marsu42

Quote from: Levinson on May 24, 2014, 03:36:43 PM
For those unfamiliar with PayPal, they will refund you themselves if you dont receive your item, or if they consider it unlikely that your product return will ever reach the seller, ala returning things to China, or if the cost of the item new is similar cost of return postage. IMHO PayPal is worth it. So far they have been excellent for me in cases like this.

I think you're mistaken: the paypal buyers' protection does not cover lost parcels (read the fine print)... or did you ever get your money back even for lost parcels when the sender could prove they've sent the item on its way but for matters unknown it didn't arrive?

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on May 25, 2014, 04:56:14 AM
I'm aware of how to dispute PayPal transaction. But I was pretty sure they will solve the problem themselves. They asked me to wait for 3 months and there is just 45 days to dispute the transaction on PayPal.

The smart idea is always to dispute after 45days if the delivery hasn't arrived no matter what or you're at the mercy of the seller. Signaling a bad ebay rating is also a good idea, or in costly cases forum posts which are sure to be picked up by google.

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on May 25, 2014, 04:56:14 AMNow they send me email with offer " issue you a full refund if you remove your post from the forums.". No guys, you don't shut me up this way. Let it cost me 150 USD, but I want others to be warned.

Thanks, though I fear it won't be any good in general - there are too many china sellers so the other fishy ones will just continue with their business practice, they're so cheap for a reason. Still, I keep buying from china because domestic sellers have ridiculous premiums for small camera items that cost cents from china but tenth of € from europe.

mothaibaphoto

To Marsu42:
Yes, you are right about paypal buyers' protection but,
if seller declare insurance for every delivery (as komputerbay.com do), it should protect buyer from any losses.
By the way, komputerbay is american, not chinese company.

g3gg0

Quote from: Marsu42 on May 25, 2014, 07:32:16 AMor did you ever get your money back even for lost parcels when the sender could prove they've sent the item on its way but for matters unknown it didn't arrive?

bad example :)
in germany explicitely this is the responsibility of the seller even if stated otherwise in contract.
(commercial seller -> end user)

using paypal on ebay requires the seller to send insured, no matter to which destination, doesnt it?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Levinson

Hi marsu, yes PayPal has covered me for parcels not received, but they were all bought through ebay / PayPal, that may have been the reason. If i remeber correctly they required me to wait 14 working days after the estimated delivery date just in case it turned up.

Because PayPal handle it I never find out what the seller can or can't prove about the shipping
5d3, 5d2 & 550d