Night video settings

Started by opus99x, May 22, 2014, 04:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opus99x

Can anyone tell me what my settings need to be to get good clear video at night. The area has a good bit of light ( street lights, store lights, cars etc.). I just want to get the best video I can from the area. Thanks.

ItsMeLenny

The higher your ISO is, the more grainy your video will become.
Better cameras have less grain with higher ISOs.
Shoot with the lowest possible ISO by:
- Using as much light as possible
- Opening the aperture as wide as possible (which may result in difficulty focusing)
- Keep the shutter open for as long as possible (if shooting at 24fps try 1/24, but this will result in more motion blur)

opus99x

Thanks, I have a canon 60d, I am having trouble with the focus when I am making night shots. I had the ISO at 1600, 2.5 aperture I think. The video was good except for the focus.

ItsMeLenny

You should still be able to actually focus, it just has a much more shallow depth of field.

drapeama

I've shot some decent scenes with my 550D, in available/low-light exteriors even with the 18-55mm kit lens at f/3.5. Best option is to get a faster lens, f/2.8 and f/1.8 are easily better choices.

Technicolor Picture Style helps a bit to "get" the maximum information in the "washed" blacks. Not ideal, but helps a bit to process in post after.

Also, make sure to use the "Exp. Override" option and set the shutter speed to 1/24 when shooting 23.976fps. Helps a bit. Everything is (of course) a bit more blurry in movements, but less grainy.

With a minimum work in post using Levels:

...and a good Noise Reduction plugin (NeatVideo comes to my mind), you can get the best, out of a somehow limited camera for low-light shooting. Not the best example, but shows pretty much the power of that plugin:

Hope it helps!

And here's two videos I've done with low-light scenes, shot with the 550D and processed with NeatVideo:

[SIZE=1]I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.[/SIZE]