[WONTFIX] Picture Styles - replacing the 6 standard ones or more than 3 user

Started by moromete20ro, July 03, 2012, 10:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moromete20ro

Is it possible to replace the 6 Canon standard picture styles from T2i memory via EOS Utility with others from Internet or to have more than 3 user defined picture styles loaded in camera?

E.g.: I find Canon's standard Portrait pictures styles quite bad because it doesn't show enough skin details  and I want to replace it with another one from Internet. On the other hand I would be useful for me to have loaded in camera more than 3 user defined picture styles since there many on Internet which are better than Canon ones from T2i's memory. 

a1ex

Risky to try (may cause permanent damage), but I think I know where to start. However, picture style data is encrypted - so even if it can be done, it will be very clumsy to use and distribute (and there may be legal issues too, but I'm not a lawyer - I just smell trouble).

moromete20ro

As long as people are using ML on their own risk I don't see any legal implications.

When you talk about "permanent damage" what are you referring to exactly?

In my opinion it would be useful to replace, for example, Canon's standard Portrait picture style from T2i memory with Canon's downloadable  Snapshot Portrait or Studio Portrait which I think are much better in revealing subtle skin details.

a1ex

What's uploaded by EOS utility is not the same as what's in the pf2 file. If the pf2 is encrypted, and what's uploaded into ROM is decrypted, and I post the decrypted version of some Canon (or other company's) picture style, that would break the copyright law IMO.

And technical: the picture style data need to be flashed to ROM. This means way more risk than ML carries now, when running from the card.

So... my answer is no.

moromete20ro

Ok, you know better. Than the 6 standard Picture Styles should remain as they come from the factory. Thanks for the explanation.

But what about adding more than 3 user defined Picture Styles? Is this doable or there are the same risks?