60D and 3x crop, help needed

Started by canoneer, May 13, 2014, 03:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canoneer

I used ML on my 60d for a while a year or so ago, and this week after experiencing the nice 3xcrop on my EosM I looked for it after loading the last 60d-nightly. But sure I did not find it anywhere, in any form.....or am I just blind.... If someone could take the time please.....where- how aso.

Walter Schulz

canoneer

That is where I looked and have it on the M, but nothing like it.

canoneer

Tried to upload a pic but did not manage to, not my day.

dmilligan

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

as you can see CROP_MODE_HACK is not available for the 60D.

Crop mode for the 60D is built-in to the Canon firmware and is possible even without ML:
Canon Menu > Movie Tab #2 > Movie rec. size > Crop 640 x 480

For RAW recording simply zoom in to get to crop mode.

canoneer

Well, I thought I observed some use of the 60D with crop with higher resolution. No crises I have the M.

Thanks.

dmilligan

perhaps they were talking about raw recording

canoneer

Quote from: dmilligan on May 13, 2014, 04:20:33 PM
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

as you can see CROP_MODE_HACK is not available for the 60D.

Crop mode for the 60D is built-in to the Canon firmware and is possible even without ML:
Canon Menu > Movie Tab #2 > Movie rec. size > Crop 640 x 480

For RAW recording simply zoom in to get to crop mode.

But the 640x480 is useless, is it not?

dmilligan

Your definition of what is and is not "useless" is totally subjective. There are certainly potential uses for it. Not everyone is using these cameras to make "budget feature films", or even record video for what you probably think of as the traditional purpose of recording video.

One great example would be planetary astrophotography. Even on an extremely powerful (amateur) telescope, your subject is not going to be larger than 640x480 pixels, and it's much more important to be able to be zoomed in as much as possible, which the crop mode achieves. 'Seeing' is the main reason planet astrophotographers shoot video. They have software that will analyze the video and pick out the best frames, as seeing can change from moment to moment, and then stack these images. It's important to capture as many frames as possible, sort of an extreme "spray and pray", small-sized crop video is the perfect solution for this.